Exhaust fumes 'cause crashes by clogging up drivers' brains': Levels of nitrogen dioxide thought to blunt attention and slow reaction times
Exhaust fumes are clogging motorists' brains and triggering car crashes, researchers say.
An analysis by the London School of Economics found that rises in the amount of nitrogen dioxide are linked to an increase in accidents.
It is thought that the brown, foul-smelling gas clouds the mind, blunting attention and slowing reaction times.
Produced by the burning of fossil fuels, most of the nitrogen dioxide in the air comes from road transport, with diesel a particularly rich source of the pollutant.
Air pollution has long been blamed for damaging heart and lung health but with recent studies... read more
- 08:19 Can you identify a criminal through the sound of their voice?
- 08:18 Nigel Farage on shortlist to be Time’s person of the year
- 08:18 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:18 Stobart Group terminates talks with Irish airline
- 08:17 Toyota to expand hybrid system development to further cut emissions
- 08:16 Why Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham are better places to...
- 08:16 Appeal after burglary in Gainsborough
- 08:15 Plea to help our lonely elderly this Christmas
- 08:15 Government facing High Court challenge over Prevent...
- 08:15 NHS whistleblowers 'being fired, gagged and blacklisted'
- 08:15 Prison inmate probed over 'Cop Killer' profile on Xbox Live
- 08:15 Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award
- 08:15 Gagging orders 'used by a number of clubs to silence football...
- 08:14 Councillor on warpath over flood risk rating for Spalding
- 08:14 Plans for health services across Lincolnshire ‘leaked’
- 08:14 Granit Xhaka defends slow start to his Arsenal career ahead of...
- 08:14 Lidl set to open its Bourne store this Thursday
- 08:14 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:12 Roxanne Pallett enlists celebrity support in mission to tackle...
- 08:12 Apprentice star celebrates soaring Cumberland sausage sales
- 08:12 GHA Coaches: Directors other coach company RJ’s of Wem has...
- 08:11 Staff brush up on DIY to help children’s charity
- 08:11 Thai king appoints new members to royal council - palace
- 08:10 Agent of Zlatan Ibrahimovic-endorsed Man Utd target delivers major...
- 08:09 Chelsea actually paid £28m for Eden Hazard – not £32.5m!
- 08:08 13 reasons Bali should be your next holiday destination
- 08:08 Thinking about dumping someone? Do it before December 17th*
- 08:08 Two-vehicle crash near Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire
- 08:08 Live: Traffic and travel updates for Leicester and Leicestershire
- 08:06 Arnold teacher jailed for carrying out abuse at prep school