Exeter 8-35 Clermont Auvergne: Chiefs left with mountain to climb in Champions Cup after heavy defeat
French heavyweights Clermont Auvergne made an immediate statement of intent in the European Champions Cup as they dealt Exeter's Pool Five qualification hopes a major setback at Sandy Park.
Exeter, who beat Clermont comfortably on home soil last season before being crushed in the return fixture, were blown away by first-half tries from flanker Julien Bardy, wing Noa Nakaitaci and centre Wesley Fofana during a devastating 15-minute spell before they eventually subsided 35-8.
The current French Top leaders, beaten Champions Cup finalists in 2015, were ruthless in the final third.
RELATED... read more
- 19:18 Iraq says it destroys Mosul car bomb factories
- 19:18 Syrian government forces press attack in east Aleppo
- 19:18 Teenager who loved comic books given superhero send-off at funeral
- 19:15 Arsenal transfer target Julian Draxler dropped by Wolfsburg, exit...
- 19:14 Badminton loses £5.9m funding for Tokyo 2020 as UK Sport announces...
- 19:14 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte warns his players: We'll be in trouble...
- 19:14 Football fans face disruption as UEFA announce plans for 6pm...
- 19:13 Watch the moment Nottingham driver is caught up in M1 'road duel'...
- 19:12 Russia, Ukraine edge closer to gas accord at EU-brokered talks
- 19:11 Sky agrees to £18billion takeover deal by 21st Century Fox
- 19:11 If you hear applause in 19th minute of Leicester City v Manchester...
- 19:11 Trump to name Goldman executive to key economic post: reports
- 19:11 Bomb kills civilian, injures three police in northern Egypt -...
- 19:11 Negligence trial in France casts shadow over IMF's Lagarde
- 19:09 Jose Mourinho: Why I'm not worried about points gap between Man...
- 19:09 Why this property developer saw double at Derby auction
- 19:09 What would you do if you won £1 million? Here's what one...
- 19:04 Alexis Sanchez will only sign deal if Arsene Wenger leaves – report
- 19:01 Grantham Journal letter: Think of the patients first
- 19:01 Italian decree to support banking system is ready - government sources
- 19:00 Diego Costa’s creativity behind Chelsea star’s Player of the Month win
- 18:59 U.N. council meets on North Korea human rights despite China...
- 18:59 Turkish court dismisses case over 2010 Israeli flotilla raid - lawyer
- 18:59 Bolton says Trump moves could signal 'different,' tougher, China line
- 18:59 Man, 49, arrested after foxes killed by hunt hounds
- 18:59 Jose Mourinho’s pleas ignored and charge handed out after Zorya...
- 18:59 Armed police leave with man after closing busy street in Louth
- 18:59 Interactive map lays bare America's devastating overdose epidemic:...
- 18:58 'Tent town' homeless protest set to end
- 18:58 'Nightmare' neighbour who 'made life hell' barred from her home