Exclusive - New Uzbek leader to share power due to clan rivalries: sources
The man poised to become Uzbekistan's next president will have to share power with two other senior officials because rival clans have been unable to agree on an outright leader, sources familiar with the behind-the-scenes manoeuvring told Reuters.
Shavkat Mirziyoyev, 59, became interim president last month after the death of Islam Karimov, who had ruled the Central Asian state with an iron hand for 27 years. Mirziyoyev, who had served as Karimov's prime minister since 2003, is strong favourite to win a Dec. 4 presidential election.
However, the power-sharing arrangements which are now... read more
- 14:11 Kirkby man accused of murdering Paul Groom to stand trial this summer
- 14:11 Pictures show the scale of damage caused to a barber shop after an...
- 14:11 EIB asks French diesel inquiry to probe Renault's use of loans
- 14:11 Planning applications: Plans for alterations to the Dusty Miller
- 14:10 Shamed police inspector found with £700k of drugs 'a disgrace to...
- 14:10 Nominate a first aid hero
- 14:10 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 14:10 Watch Miss Leicestershire contestants put through their paces
- 14:09 Brexit 'could damage UK's ability to fight corruption'
- 14:09 Signaller on TV railway series – and Grantham’s bridge strikes get...
- 14:08 BREAKING: Police investigate death of baby
- 14:08 Wall St opens higher; healthcare bill vote awaited
- 14:07 Chelsea News: Nemanja Matic the reason for Premier League success –...
- 14:07 Jordan Henderson: I was told on phone a move to Liverpool had been...
- 14:07 Karen completes charity challenge to swim length of English Channel...
- 14:07 Get a FREE Domino's pizza this weekend with this simple trick
- 14:07 CCTV camera near scene of St Ann's knife attack had been removed...
- 14:06 Duo travel back in time to take on a 120-mile canal stroll!
- 14:06 Morecambe singer’s charity to use power of music
- 14:06 Tesco to cut petrol and diesel prices by 2p ahead of Mother’s Day
- 14:06 Falcons’ feathers will boost BAE jets
- 14:05 Grimsby Town boss Bignot on latest links to Lambs favourite
- 14:05 Polesworth man takes on epic journey across country for Herald...
- 14:04 Deadline for voter registration is near for Deepings and Bourne
- 14:04 New survey on youth mental health services in Lincolnshire
- 14:04 New team to prevent employee shortages
- 14:04 Apprentices dig in to help Northumberland schools
- 14:04 Warwick school pupils’ have hi-tech way to answer questions in...
- 14:04 Senior Cup Final to be staged at St James’ Park
- 14:04 New-look Costcutter store opens in Kirton