Ex-border chief urges illegal immigrants amnesty for sake of post-Brexit system
An amnesty should be offered to illegal immigrants in the UK, according to a former border chief.
Rob Whiteman argued the move would make the post-Brexit system "manageable", with the Home Office set to see its workload increase in the wake of the referendum outcome in June.
There are no official figures on the scale of illegal migration in the UK.
Mr Whiteman, who was chief executive of the UK Border Agency from 2011 to 2013, said some academic studies estimate there may be as many as 500,000 people - while campaign group Migration Watch thinks it could be more than one million.... read more
- 08:26 Engineering firm IMI sees drop in 2017 first-half organic revenue
- 08:26 Witches are putting a spell on Donald Trump at midnight
- 08:25 FOLLOW-UP: Angry reaction over the ‘red phone box saga’ continues
- 08:24 Aston Villa LIVE: Steve Bruce's press conference; Scott Hogan...
- 08:24 Cannabis plants found in police raid in Rotherham
- 08:24 Tributes after legendary local football figure dies
- 08:23 Property expert reveals where in Grimsby and Cleethorpes is best...
- 08:23 Badminton: Double delight for Diane Gillan at Scottish Championships
- 08:22 Here’s how you can cancel your Labour party membership
- 08:22 Challenge of delays in leaving hospital
- 08:21 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Zachary Quinto slams Trump over transgender students at Oscar...
- 08:20 Guus Hiddink on Leicester City’s shortlist to replace Claudio Ranieri
- 08:20 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Should Nottingham's Brian Clough statue be moved to the City Ground?
- 08:19 Littletown defeat league leaders and remain on course for treble
- 08:17 In Japan, 'Rocky' and 'Premium Friday' join fight against overtime
- 08:17 Chelsea first-team star could be shipped out this summer: Here's why
- 08:16 The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan SLAMS 'stupid people'...
- 08:13 Storm Doris sees Boston’s Sluice Bridge level crossing stuck shut
- 08:12 Middlewood Park and Ride closed this Sunday for maintenance work
- 08:10 Vital Foresight youth club saved thanks to £66,000 grant funding...
- 08:10 Health minister Philip Dunne backing midwife-led maternity units
- 08:10 Work to start on converting Newport's Royal Victoria Hotel into flats
- 08:10 Shropshire councillors freeze annual allowances
- 08:10 Spared jail: Telford teenager sexually assaulted woman as she slept
- 08:10 Shropshire savers lose out as building society cuts rates
- 08:10 Paul Nuttall defiant despite humiliating defeat in Stoke Central...
- 08:10 Shropshire pub raiders steal cash, alcohol and laptop
- 08:10 Person 'unaccounted for' after Shropshire house fire