Ex-border chief urges illegal immigrants amnesty for sake of post-Brexit system
An amnesty should be offered to illegal immigrants in the UK, according to a former border chief.
Rob Whiteman argued the move would make the post-Brexit system "manageable", with the Home Office set to see its workload increase in the wake of the referendum outcome in June.
There are no official figures on the scale of illegal migration in the UK.
Mr Whiteman, who was chief executive of the UK Border Agency from 2011 to 2013, said some academic studies estimate there may be as many as 500,000 people - while campaign group Migration Watch thinks it could be more than one million.... read more
- 13:29 Morecambe nursery suffers break in
- 13:30 Woman, 31, denies drugs offence after body found in Carlisle street
- 13:30 Plea to “better off” Sheffield pensioners to donate fuel payments
- 13:29 Renewed appeal by police after woman injured in Morecambe...
- 13:29 North east Derbyshire plane crash ‘unsurvivable’ say investigators
- 13:28 Pizza boxes, crisp bags and light bulbs: here’s what NOT to recycle
- 13:29 Lancashire court listings - Monday, November 20, 2017
- 13:29 Delays on M1 after three vehicle smash
- 13:29 Are you guilty of sending inappropriate emails?
- 13:28 Police warning over cold calls from bogus bailiffs
- 13:29 Police probe into death of Alfreton student continues
- 13:29 UK house price trends: how Preston compares with the rest of the...
- 13:29 Independent shops: how to get ahead on Black Friday
- 13:28 VIDEO: Police raid traveller sites, including one near Harborough,...
- 13:29 63-year-old man abused three girls in Derbyshire
- 13:28 What are the last Christmas posting dates for International Airmail?
- 13:28 WATCH: Banned Royal Mail TV ad ‘too scary’ to be aired
- 13:29 VIDEO: Bad driving in Derbyshire caught on camera
- 13:28 Loud snorers more at risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease says...
- 13:28 Aldi and Lidl recall snacks over allergy fears
- 13:28 Revealed: Top 50 bugbears of motorists from lane hoggers to...
- 13:29 Money saving tips for families ahead of Black Friday
- 13:28 Check your loose change - you could have a 50p worth hundreds in...
- 13:28 Independent Desborough group claims landslide victory in maiden...
- 13:28 Money saving tips for families ahead of Black Friday
- 13:28 US military to create real life Star Trek with ‘invisible’ bombers...
- 13:28 Older people in the Harborough area may be at risk of malnutrition
- 13:28 UPDATE: Driver has serious injuries after Desborough A6 crash
- 13:28 Man indecently exposes himself to 15-year-old girl in Desborough
- 13:28 John's real-time WW1 blog: Seven photographs that together tell a...