Ex-border chief urges illegal immigrants amnesty for sake of post-Brexit system
An amnesty should be offered to illegal immigrants in the UK, according to a former border chief.
Rob Whiteman argued the move would make the post-Brexit system "manageable", with the Home Office set to see its workload increase in the wake of the referendum outcome in June.
There are no official figures on the scale of illegal migration in the UK.
Mr Whiteman, who was chief executive of the UK Border Agency from 2011 to 2013, said some academic studies estimate there may be as many as 500,000 people - while campaign group Migration Watch thinks it could be more than one million.... read more
- 11:55 Calls to save a once-bustling Worksop street that has fallen off...
- 11:55 Asylum seekers receive help in South Yorkshire on how to adjust to...
- 11:55 Controversial homes approved
- 11:55 Pensioners can boost their brain power 'by building up their muscle...
- 11:55 When do you start wearing a poppy? Poppy etiquette on Remembrance Day
- 11:55 Acklington WI, Meeting
- 11:54 Sunderland need to show greater resilience in survival fight says...
- 11:54 Swedish central bank holds policy, primes guns for December action
- 11:54 Software company Misys joins list of UK firms to ditch flotation plans
- 11:53 Leeds defender attracting interest from Leicester - reports
- 11:53 Fifty Shades of Grey art exhibition coming to Harrogate
- 11:53 #ThrowbackThursday: Harrogate men prepare for battle in 1982
- 11:53 Man 'took knife from waistband and stabbed teenager in the heart',...
- 11:52 Introducing the 6p-a-minute cafe where coffee and food are included
- 11:52 'Every time I've left him out, he's just trained harder' - Lincoln...
- 11:52 Trick or treaters told to play safe this Halloween
- 11:51 Hard-hitting exhibition on child abuse goes on display at...
- 11:51 Sir Alex Ferguson names Manchester City as his Premier League...
- 11:50 Software company Misys joins list of UK firms to ditch flotation plans
- 11:50 LG Electronics says third-quarter profit down 3.7 percent vs. year...
- 11:50 Qualcomm to buy NXP Semiconductors for enterprise value of $47 billion
- 11:50 Iraqi army tries to reach site of IS executions south of Mosul
- 11:49 Smelly foreign ladybirds invade UK homes
- 11:49 Hartlepool community pays tribute to eight-year-old boy knocked...
- 11:49 Overwatch Sombra update: Reddit clues point to MASSIVE November ARG...
- 11:49 Fifty Shades of Grey art exhibition coming to Harrogate
- 11:49 #ThrowbackThursday: Harrogate men prepare for battle in 1982
- 11:48 £30m plan for hundreds of 'affordable' new homes
- 11:48 Murder suspect believed to have known man killed in Aigburth...
- 11:48 Lamborghini driver slapped with £35 ticket – but he doesn’t seem to...