Even with rising wages, robot revolution skips restaurants
Clamshell grills are making burger flipping obsolete at McDonald’s, Johnny Rockets and other burger chains. Digital kiosks, tabletop tablets and mobile phones are taking orders at eateries like Panera, Chili’s Grill & Bar and Domino’s. And at Silicon Valley start-up Zume, robots are being programmed to take over pizza assembly.
Such labor-saving devices have been held out as counterweights to efforts to raise the wages of the lowest paid workers in the United States. But the early evidence suggests robots and other forms of automation are merely reshaping the work of people in food... read more
- 17:16 Five French Open matches we’re desperate to see including Sharapova...
- 17:14 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 17:13 Bid to make Millom dementia-friendly as part of action week
- 17:13 'Flawed' UK Nursing regulator set to be hauled before parliamentary...
- 17:13 Carlisle hospital parking firm suspended by DVLA
- 17:13 New players wanted at Warwick Girls U9s
- 17:12 Sheep gets stuck on Norfolk river bridge...again
- 17:12 Bidding farewell to Spotty House and Knaresborough
- 17:11 Sunderland University's £5million-plus boost for North East...
- 17:11 Brazil short on basic goods as fuel strike grinds on
- 17:10 IN PICTURES: Celebrating Harry and Meghan’s special day
- 17:10 Does the Growth Commission boost the case for Scottish independence?
- 17:10 Jeremy Corbyn says Northern Ireland needs voice at Brexit table
- 17:08 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:08 Mathew Bates seals in-demand defender as his first Hartlepool signing
- 17:07 Man ‘scalded toddler, 2, in bath, then cut his blistered skin off...
- 17:06 Talented Barrow student artists progress to range of university...
- 17:06 Kate Middleton’s fave designer throws shade at Meghan’s wedding dress
- 17:06 Here’s the best sherry cocktail in the UK, the man behind it and...
- 17:06 Prestwich artist Anna Evans' commemorative Arena attack artwork...
- 17:06 Mining group Vedanta 'should be delisted'
- 17:05 Liverpool to refund cup final tickets for fans with cancelled flights
- 17:04 Family music event planned for Anderby
- 17:03 Thousands sign petition to make Blacker Lane safe
- 17:03 Three South Tyneside men fined for salmon poaching
- 17:03 Tune in to see if Wakefield's Britain's Got Talent stars have made...
- 17:03 'Bitter' bar boss in Champions League Final free pint deal
- 17:03 Story of Warwick's greatest benefactor told in new film
- 17:03 Rain brings early end to Lancashire's clash with Warwickshire at...
- 17:01 Man shot through taxi window by armed police