European Union to ready sanctions over Congo vote delay, violence
The European Union will prepare economic sanctions on the Democratic Republic of Congo unless its ruling coalition, which has delayed next month's elections, holds a fresh vote early next year, diplomats say.
President Joseph Kabila was due to leave at the end of his mandate in December but authorities have postponed it until April 2018, citing logistical problems.
The vote delay sparked two days of protests in the capital Kinshasa last month that killed dozens of people.
"Elections must take place as early as possible, and no later than in 2017," said an EU diplomat involved in... read more
- 12:12 Rugby primary school doubling year to meet demand
- 12:11 Tottenham ace Toby Alderweireld: We're ready for Arsenal and can...
- 12:11 Club desperate to sell Chelsea target: Star man will definitely...
- 12:11 Hey big spenders: How much did every Premier League club’s squad...
- 12:11 Top TV satirical show Spitting Image could be making a return so...
- 12:10 Just nine days left to spend your old £5 notes
- 12:10 Leyland woman charged with murder after baby death
- 12:10 What your school pencil case said about you
- 12:09 You could earn £50,000 working for the RAC
- 12:09 What TV channel is Manchester City vs Manchester United on? Derby...
- 12:09 Nottingham-made website Profit Accumulator claims to remove all...
- 12:08 Launch of Valley author’s debut novel
- 12:08 Hartlepool teen who battled back from two brain operations calls on...
- 12:08 Government urged to end 'secrets' over Orgreave and give former...
- 12:08 Pupils at South Shields school tuck into healthy food in Five A Day...
- 12:07 Girl, 17, and two men quizzed by police after shots fired at homes...
- 12:06 Disney's Frozen 2 has FINALLY been given a release date
- 12:05 Northumberland Livestock
- 12:05 Printing error leads to some postal votes being done again
- 12:05 Happy 100th birthday Ethel
- 12:05 Protestors lodge last-ditch plans
- 12:05 A fabulous feast for folk at Filey festival
- 12:04 Tour de Yorkshire: Forged by legacy
- 12:04 Knights of St. Columba present £1,200 charity cheques
- 12:04 Traders set the stalls out on big market move
- 12:04 Antisocial behaviour in Cumbrian town to be addressed
- 12:03 Airbus CEO calls Austria fraud probe political abuse of system
- 12:03 AstraZeneca hopes to escape drug sales trough in second half
- 12:03 REVIEW: Catching the early bird at The Sparling Barton is highly...
- 12:03 Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish drops out of Dragons' Den...