European shares fall led by utilities, real estate; Tesco soars
* STOXX 600 closes down 0.6 pct
* ECB taper talk weighs on markets
* Utility and property stocks fall as bond yields rise
* But bank stocks edge up, lifting Milan and Madrid markets
By Danilo Masoni
MILAN, Oct 5 European shares fell on Wednesday on concerns that the European Central Bank might reduce the pace of bond-buying before its asset purchase programme ends, hitting utility and property stocks hardest.
The pan-European STOXX 600 index ended down 0.6 percent. The index is down by around 6 percent so far in 2016.
Bloomberg News reported late on Tuesday that the ECB will probably... read more
- 03:50 China to prosecute former Tianjin mayor for suspected graft
- 03:50 At least 26 killed as Indian train derails
- 03:49 Steven Gerrard: This is where Liverpool will finish at the end of...
- 03:48 President Donald Trump HOUNDED by FURIOUS protestors in motorcade...
- 03:44 A message of hope at Washington march
- 03:43 Outgoing FCC chair warns against overturning net neutrality
- 03:42 Chief of Taiwan's Foxconn says rise of protectionism unavoidable
- 03:36 Mauritius: PM Anerood Jugnauth to hand over to son
- 03:33 Playing politics? Chinese tourism under scrutiny as Lunar New Year...
- 03:33 China party paper says no 'provocation' can stop its military drills
- 03:29 Stars come out for Critics' Circle Film Awards
- 03:29 Parents of charity rower say his fundraising feats will save lives
- 03:29 Girl at centre of court battle is beyond my control, says father
- 03:18 Transfer news: Chelsea in talks with Real Madrid, Spurs block...
- 03:15 Man charged with the murder of schoolgirl Leonne Weeks
- 03:13 North Wales football: Prestatyn move 13 points clear in Huws Gray...
- 03:10 Trump inauguration: President attacks 'dishonest' media over crowd...
- 02:59 Man charged with the murder of schoolgirl Leonne Weeks
- 02:47 In defence of Nintendo Switch – Reader’s Feature
- 02:46 Myanmar's remote Wa State suffers as fewer Chinese come to party
- 02:27 Japan enters uncharted waters as emperor's abdication pondered
- 02:27 Kenny Miller insists Rangers future 'is out of my hands' after...
- 02:27 Celtic star Stuart Armstrong now right at home at Parkhead and...
- 02:27 Australian Open LIVE: Sir Andy Murray faces Mischa Zverev as Dan...
- 02:12 ‘Months, not weeks’ No date set for first SHOWDOWN between Trump &...
- 01:50 Eyes front! Braless Kendall Jenner flashes her nipple pasties in...
- 01:50 Petra Nemcova looks radiant in flirty and feminine yellow frock...
- 01:50 'I was terrified': Louis Tomlinson reveals he was petrified before...
- 01:50 Suicide attack foiled in Beirut cafe - security source
- 01:50 Stacy Francis bursts into hysterical tears of guilt over Chloe...