Europe to launch four sat-nav spacecraft
Europe is about to extend its satellite-navigation system by putting another four spacecraft in orbit.
They will go up on an Ariane 5 rocket from Kourou in French Guiana, with the lift-off scheduled for exactly 10:06 (13:06 GMT) on Thursday.
It is the first time Europe's premier launch vehicle has been used to loft Galileo satellites. Normally, they go up on a Russian Soyuz, two at a time.
This mission will bring the in-orbit constellation to 18 spacecraft.
That is six short of the planned number for the full network, but more than enough for Galileo to start an initial service, which it is... read more
- 08:12 Crimestoppers appeals for information on crime gangs in Doncaster
- 08:12 ALERT: Warning issued to Doncaster WhatsApp users over fraud scam
- 08:12 Women's running group in Burton gives ladies a new lease of life
- 08:12 Whitbread to split Costa Coffee from group
- 08:12 Tributes to dad-of-three who died on diving trip in the Lakes
- 08:10 ‘It was fun, but uncomfortable’: Members of the mile high club...
- 08:10 Groundhog Day for Morecambe boss Bentley
- 08:10 LIVE: Wednesday's Preston North End news - Alex Neil's...
- 08:10 Patrick Vieira ‘ready’ for Arsenal but is yet to be contacted over...
- 08:10 Jurgen Klopp explains how Mohamed Salah can become the best player...
- 08:09 Under-16s set to be banned from using WhatsApp - what it means for you
- 08:09 Royal wedding afternoon tea event in the Ribble Valley
- 08:09 Liverpool Player Ratings: How good were Firmino, Henderson and co...
- 08:08 Mitsubishi striving to eclipse its rivals
- 08:08 Man seen exposing himself to passers by outside Carlisle car rental...
- 08:06 Costa Coffee to spin off from Whitbread
- 08:06 Inside Nintendo's secretive creative process
- 08:06 Man charged with attempted murder after stabbing outside flats in...
- 08:06 UK EuroMillions ticket-holder wins entire £121.3 million jackpot...
- 08:06 Mohamed Salah: Liverpool star on a par with Lionel Messi and...
- 08:04 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:03 Single Brit winner scoops £121million EuroMillions jackpot - are...
- 08:02 Extra police at Birmingham Airport today - here's why
- 08:02 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:02 Police hunt down suspected car thieves with dogs in Penwortham
- 08:01 Letters: Puzzled by 20% rise in cost of scratch cards
- 08:01 ALERT: Warning issued to Sheffield WhatsApp users over fraud scam
- 08:01 ALERT: Warning issued to Doncaster WhatsApp users over fraud scam
- 08:00 From a homeless hostel to vice-chancellor of Lincoln University
- 07:59 Supreme Court to hear NI woman's widow benefit case