EU referendum 'has led to rise in anti-foreigner sentiment in UK'
The EU referendum seems to have led to a rise in "anti-foreigner" sentiment in the UK, a European human rights watchdog has claimed.
Levels of hate speech and racist violence were highlighted in an assessment by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance.
Its report said there continues to be"considerable intolerant political discourse focusing on immigration and contributing to an increase in xenophobic sentiment".
The commission said a particularly high number of violent racist incidents occurred in 2013, with a sharp rise in anti-Muslim violence.... read more
- 13:03 Sheffield named 'banter capital of Britain'
- 13:03 Power cut hits over 1,000 Whitehaven properties
- 13:03 LETTER: Brexit - no half way house
- 13:03 Hotpoint urges people with same fridge-freezer model that started...
- 13:03 POLICE UPDATE: 'Suspicious' incident at Biddulph's Woodhouse...
- 13:03 Young woman fights for life after being hit by car near Leeds
- 13:03 Baby panda charms Japan
- 13:03 Policing in West Yorkshire: Why we can’t stop watching the detectives
- 13:03 Drugs police raid Lytham home
- 13:03 WHAT’S ON: Armed Forces Day Blackpool events and offers
- 13:02 ECB's Draghi tells EU leaders expects economy, wages to grow
- 13:02 Sheffield named 'banter capital of Britain'
- 13:02 Online concern over Chinese 'human embroidery' trend
- 13:01 Manchester United clear favourites to sign Chelsea star Nemanja...
- 13:01 Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor tickets have not gone on sale -...
- 13:01 Championship Transfer News: Leeds done deal, Terry to Aston Villa...
- 13:00 Hotpoint fridge-freezer identified as cause of Grenfell Tower fire
- 12:59 Arsene Wenger ready to sell Arsenal star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to...
- 12:59 Tick helping Rainbows off your bucket list
- 12:59 This is why you may have seen a police escort through Sheffield...
- 12:58 Why have our cars suddenly been covered in dust?
- 12:57 Large traveller group who "broke into land" in Anfield to be moved...
- 12:57 Fun, games - and butties!
- 12:57 TEN shootings in 23 days as gun thugs cause misery across Merseyside
- 12:57 Johnny Depp on Donald Trump: Crime or free speech?
- 12:57 Dani Alves praises Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as agents...
- 12:56 Disruption on trains between Matlock and Belper
- 12:56 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:56 Watch: Miracle escape for motorists after car becomes wedged under...
- 12:56 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions...