EU referendum 'has led to rise in anti-foreigner sentiment in UK'
The EU referendum seems to have led to a rise in "anti-foreigner" sentiment in the UK, a European human rights watchdog has claimed.
Levels of hate speech and racist violence were highlighted in an assessment by the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance.
Its report said there continues to be"considerable intolerant political discourse focusing on immigration and contributing to an increase in xenophobic sentiment".
The commission said a particularly high number of violent racist incidents occurred in 2013, with a sharp rise in anti-Muslim violence.... read more
- 08:36 Maryport man rubs shoulders with newly-weds Harry and Meghan
- 08:35 University of Central Lancashire helps put focus on green firm
- 08:34 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:33 A590 blocked in both directions following collision at Newlands
- 08:33 Boris Johnson says he 'probably needs' a private plane
- 08:31 Fines handed to motorists outside school after Doncaster crackdown...
- 08:30 Strike action begins at Wigan hospital sites
- 08:30 What Arsenal can expect from their new manager Unai Emery
- 08:29 Council’s budget has been cut by £13m in five years
- 08:28 Farm helps to combat loneliness
- 08:28 Antiques experts visit centre
- 08:28 Brian is added to Walk of Fame for his charity efforts
- 08:28 Home sweet home for brewing firm
- 08:27 Arsenal transfer news: will Mesut Ozil fit into Unai Emery’s master...
- 08:26 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:26 Fears 14-year-olds could be targeted in Victoria's...
- 08:26 Trump set to head to Scotland for golf during state visit
- 08:25 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:24 Harden's 30 help Rockets even series with Warriors at two games apiece
- 08:24 Australian gymnasts and staff to be trained to identify child abuse
- 08:24 Stolen car being hunted by Cumbria Police
- 08:23 Liverpool star should be LEFT OUT of Champions League final even if...
- 08:23 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:23 World Cup 2018: England squad snapped training for first time with...
- 08:20 Nearly twice as many over-65s in employment than a decade ago,...
- 08:20 Board members at NHS Tayside to be tested for skills and experience...
- 08:20 Caglar Soyuncu suggests Arsenal transfer could be finalised within...
- 08:20 Mikel Arteta told he can replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City
- 08:18 Two men stand trial charged with kidnap and rape during alleged...
- 08:17 Brian Monteith: Why SNP’s bid to restart independence debate is a joke