EU prisoners deal 'has not met expectations'
A deal to move EU prisoners in England and Wales to their home countries has not worked out "well", MPs have heard.
Michael Spurr, head of the National Offender Management Service, told the Justice Committee only 102 EU prisoners had been transferred in three years.
There are about 4,200 EU nationals in jail in England and Wales - 977 from Poland, which has a partial optout from the transfer agreement
The government said it was working with the Polish government.
Mr Spurr said his officials had only recently discovered that, under the terms of the optout, some of the Polish... read more
- 16:00 Leeds medic warns against missing out on vital bowel cancer screening
- 15:59 Immigration debate leads to criticism of deportation chief by...
- 15:59 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 15:59 Prison riot in Mexico leaves two dead and 13 injured
- 15:59 Woman sexually assaulted in Market Drayton
- 15:59 Taking LSD ‘could actually heal your brain’ rather than just...
- 15:59 Cold callers, self-service checkouts and hand-wash only clothes -...
- 15:59 How a bad Brexit deal could make the UK vulnerable to terror attacks
- 15:59 Knitted chicks set to boost funds
- 15:58 Here are 5 things you should NEVER buy from the supermarket
- 15:58 Homes hit by power cut
- 15:57 Aidan McAteer's best friend was killed in Huyton motorbike tragedy...
- 15:57 Surveillance zone lifted around farm hit by bird flu
- 15:56 Business backing boosts hospice’s work
- 15:56 Couple open bereavement centre for families who have lost children
- 15:56 West Yorkshire named worst county for animal cruelty outside London
- 15:54 New arrests after murder of Yorkshire dad
- 15:54 Woodhead Pass murder accused used text messages and GPS apps to...
- 15:54 Man, 72, killed after hit by train near Ketton
- 15:53 Bastian Schweinsteiger reveals all on his Manchester United exile
- 15:53 Mosul battle: Iraqi forces edge closer to key mosque
- 15:52 Poll: majority of Scots don’t want separate Brexit deal
- 15:52 Woodhead Pass murder accused used text messages and GPS apps to...
- 15:50 What is Article 50 and how Brexit will affect you in Hull
- 15:50 MP Jon Ashworth demands Arriva rethinks planned bus cuts in Leicester
- 15:50 My Killie boys are up for a Highland battle and set to fight for...
- 15:50 Fly-tipping Anglesey builder avoids prison term
- 15:50 Cheapest European holiday destinations after triggering of Article...
- 15:49 15 reasons why Didcot, the most ‘normal’ town in England, is...
- 15:48 Richard Ord: Why GCSE exams should be held in winter