EU eyes 90 million euros for defence research 'revolution'
A modest proposed investment of 90 million euros (£77.6 million) in EU defence research could mark a turning point after years of cuts that have put the continent's future military capabilities at risk, the head of the European Defence Agency said.
The plan put forward by the European Commission has taken on added significance since Britain voted to quit the EU in June. France and Germany now see an opportunity to push ahead with European defence cooperation that London blocked -- but for that, they need money.
"For the first time in its history, the EU is paving the way for a... read more
- 10:11 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 10:09 FEATURE: Case studies of exotic pets rescued by Ark Wildlife Park
- 10:09 Donna Nook seal count begins to drop as they make their way back to...
- 10:05 WhatsApp will soon stop working on millions of phones, is yours one...
- 10:05 We're Going on a Bear Hunt will be on Channel 4 this Christmas
- 10:05 Stoke City 2, Burnley 0: Player ratings from tasty win over Clarets
- 10:05 LIVE: A50 Waterloo Road closed in both directions after three...
- 10:05 Eden Hazard reveals the ‘big change’ that Diego Costa has made at...
- 10:04 School playground to be transformed after winning Lottery bid
- 10:03 Update: Horses loose on the A17 at Heckington - owner is found
- 09:59 Missing 'high risk' 13-year-old girl found after helicopter search
- 09:58 Witnesses sought after 'deliberate' Ribchester barn fire
- 09:56 General Tso's Chicken creator dies in Taiwan aged 98
- 09:56 Apple admits self-driving car plans
- 09:54 France's Left starts fightback after Hollande bows out of...
- 09:51 Hull City news and rumours LIVE: Tigers ready for Middlesbrough...
- 09:51 Man awaiting sentence after pinning partner against wall
- 09:48 Female suicide bomber uses children as decoy before blowing herself up
- 09:45 Missing out on West Ham tie in FA Cup was the biggest regret of my...
- 09:44 Hospital theft sparks police probe
- 09:43 Part of Carlisle on lockdown following incident
- 09:43 Manhunt continues in Carlisle following armed police incident
- 09:43 Bedroom fire in west Cumbria
- 09:41 Killer drivers could be jailed for life under new proposals
- 09:40 Stranger attack ‘left man with serious facial injuries’
- 09:40 Record 1,378 Christmas trees at Melton Mowbray festival
- 09:40 Dangerous drivers who kill could face life in prison
- 09:37 Analysis: Holyrood will not win veto in complex Brexit contest
- 09:36 Police appeal for information over fail to stop in Windermere
- 09:36 Barrow firm retains place in league table of fastest-growing companies