EU executive says emergency border checks still valid though migrant influx has eased
The European Union's executive said on Wednesday that emergency border checks introduced within Europe's passport-free travel zone by countries including Germany and Sweden to stem a migrant influx were still justified even though arrival numbers have eased.
In a blow to European integration, the EU partly suspended the Schengen Area arrangement as member states were overwhelmed by the arrival of some 1.3 million refugees and migrants in 2015.
"The border controls have been necessary," said EU Migration Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos. "The current controls remain within... read more
- 08:32 WATCH: Collision closes Cadley Lane in Swadlincote
- 08:30 The Yorkshire Ripper and Ian Huntley are really enjoying Planet...
- 08:30 Four-way lights are installed at Telford's Shawbirch roundabout
- 08:29 PANTO REVIEW: Peter Pan, Mansfield Palace Theatre
- 08:29 Leyland bicep biter admits attacking relative
- 08:27 Plan for continental-style outdoor seating at tapas and cocktail bar
- 08:27 Social worker sacked and suspended after assault
- 08:27 Bill Jamieson: End of an era for UK income funds
- 08:26 Former mining community honoured with new Ray Lonsdale statue
- 08:26 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:26 New study reveals lack of awareness from parents at spotting...
- 08:26 Pupils ‘must be taught British values’ claims Westminster review
- 08:25 Missing teenage girl has not been seen for almost a week
- 08:23 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:22 HK stocks hit 2-wk low on Italian "no" vote, muted response to...
- 08:21 BMW workers remotely lock stolen car – with the thief still inside it
- 08:20 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:20 Bells will be ringing out for Christmas...
- 08:20 WATCH: Sneak preview of Last Tango in Halifax Christmas special
- 08:19 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists his side do not have an...
- 08:18 Penarth neighbours create 'living' advent calendar
- 08:18 Barrow 'superstar' brothers up for festive prize in Christmas Star...
- 08:18 Storm Desmond - what happened
- 08:18 Early Christmas present for Barrow teenage girl with cerebral palsy...
- 08:18 Pledge to stop elderly patients leaving Barrow hospital in the dark
- 08:18 Choking Ulverston barman made to wait 50 minutes for an ambulance
- 08:17 RBS settles three claims over 2008 fund raising
- 08:16 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:15 McDonald’s worker installed spy camera in the women’s toilets
- 08:15 British tour company worker stabbed to death in Finland