Etiquette expert William Hanson reveals how to enjoy a more civilised New York, from the restaurant that has service mastered to the best hotel (plus what you should definitely avoid)
It's the city that never sleeps, but after just an hour I needed a good lie down.
New York makes London look positively sedentary but that's no reason not to visit one of the most fascinating and diverse cities in the world.
Granted, there are many components of the modern city that need love and attention (the New York subway makes the London Underground's Central line look like the Orient Express).
You could opt to spend the entirety of your visit being swept along by the many tourist guides hustling you from one overpriced attraction to the next but more discerning travellers can easily... read more
- 19:27 Dead or Alive singer Pete Burns dies at 57
- 19:25 Prolific burglar jailed after stealing TV...then later returning it
- 19:25 Cristiano Ronaldo tops Ballon d'Or shortlist with Lionel Messi and...
- 19:25 Three fire crews tackle Lincolnshire house fire
- 19:25 Singer-songwriter Pete Burns dies at 57 after cardiac arrest
- 19:24 Bristol City vs Hull City preview with team news, opinion and key...
- 19:23 T-Mobile raises forecast; sees 'upside' from AT&T-Time Warner deal
- 19:23 Man jailed for brutal attack on city centre bouncer
- 19:23 Two women suffer head injuries after crash
- 19:22 Women launch campaign to get rid of ‘Essex Girl’ stereotype
- 19:21 Birmingham City hero: I still don't like Aston Villa
- 19:19 A defence of Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho after Chelsea...
- 19:17 Twenty parrots saved by firefighters after children's game starts...
- 19:17 Venezuela's Maduro in surprise visit to Pope
- 19:16 JPMorgan may need to revise timeline for settlement business exit:...
- 19:16 WATCH: Adam Peaty swaps the pool for the sky as he realises his...
- 19:16 Narrow win for depleted Burton Albion ladies maintains impressive...
- 19:15 Prestigious rural award for innovative Stamford business
- 19:13 24-hour licence granted for part of Preston’s Guild Hall
- 19:13 Lessons from Chorley Hospital’s accident and emergency unit closure
- 19:13 From food trucks to celebrity chefs: Walt Disney World unveils its...
- 19:13 Air India's Delhi to San Francisco flight becomes the world's...
- 19:11 English Heritage labels Hull's Amy Johnson a Londoner
- 19:11 Gordon Strachan not in danger of Scotland sack but SFA warn 'it's...
- 19:10 'They shot him, I don't know why' - Drug dealer describes murder of...
- 19:09 Arsenal v Reading: Metro.co.uk’s big match preview
- 19:09 Rapist jailed for 11 years after victim broke her leg escaping flat...
- 19:08 19 great places to eat and drink in Derby this half term
- 19:08 Christopher Magee sent 'Get Well Soon' card to Derby woman he tried...
- 19:08 Why our Lancashire folk prefer to stay at home