Ethiopian PM says police do not use violence against protesters
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn said on Tuesday that police had not used violent tactics against protesters and the government would investigate such incidents, speaking during a visit by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Ethiopia has been hit by a wave of protests over land and political rights for more than a year, in which rights groups and the opposition say police have used excessive force. The government denies this and say the death toll is exaggerated.
Merkel told the prime minister that protests should be allowed and any police response should be proportionate.... read more
- 16:05 Leicester house prices rising faster than every capital city of the...
- 16:05 Magpies boss Jansen targets home rule
- 16:05 Lancaster slimmer appears on Channel 4 documentary
- 16:05 Golf buggy maker hopes to create 50 jobs
- 16:05 Keen cook scoops scholarship
- 16:05 Colleague pays tribute to ‘wise’ Dr Geoff Slater
- 16:05 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Chess champions at Gipsey Bridge
- 16:05 Flowers for police after Westminster terror attack
- 16:04 WATCH: Councillor vows to fill in 'dangerous' potholes plaguing...
- 16:04 Chairman of Burton Soup Kitchen speaks of 'disgusted' after camera...
- 16:03 Who will leave Chelsea this summer? The five Blues stars most...
- 16:03 Dashcam footage appeal after Holywell police incident
- 16:03 Masked machete-wielding men imprison couple in Derbyshire farmhouse...
- 16:03 Hunt for missing sex offender
- 16:03 Flowers sent to Kirklees Police after terror attacks in capital...
- 16:02 Tesco to cut petrol and diesel prices by 2p ahead of Mother’s Day
- 16:02 Tiny eye moments that give away if you’re lying
- 16:01 Colleague pays tribute to ‘wise’ Dr Geoff Slater
- 16:01 Infineon raises 2017 outlook on stronger automotive orders
- 16:00 Education trust running Hartlepool and Sunderland schools announces...
- 16:00 Police helicopter bids final farewell
- 16:00 See Sunderland schoolboy dice with danger clinging to moving bus
- 16:00 Paul Merson reveals who he wants to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal
- 16:00 Manchester United tell Real Madrid: Forget David De Gea or we will...
- 16:00 BREAKING: First picture of young Sheffield dad stabbed to death
- 16:00 Lawyer who stole £4m from clients and Church jailed for seven years
- 16:00 Woman stubs out cigarette on man's face in Telford racist assault
- 16:00 14 charged after Halloween 'ride out' of bikers through city centre
- 15:59 Comets’ ladies are ‘fusing fun with fitness’
- 15:59 New equipment for Kenilworth Clinic patients after Round Table...