Ethiopia's Merera Gudina detained after trip to Europe
A prominent opposition leader in Ethiopia has been detained after he returned from Europe.
Merera Gudina had violated Ethiopia's state of emergency by having contact with "terrorist" and "anti-peace" groups, state-linked media reported.
Mr Merera criticised the state of emergency in an address to the European parliament on 9 November.
The government imposed it in October to end an unprecedented wave of protests against its 25-year rule.
More than 11,000 people have since been arrested.
Africa Live: More on this and other stories Are Ethiopian protests a game changer? Mr... read more
- 15:07 Children brave chop to help young people with cancer
- 15:07 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:06 Digger Festival organisers and artists celebrate George Orwell
- 15:06 Nissan says Brexit-induced fall in pound left it slightly worse off
- 15:06 New BBC Scotland channel a “shift in the right direction”
- 15:06 India's Snapdeal to cut 600 staff, founders forego salary
- 15:06 VIDEO: Bumpy landings for planes at Yorkshire airport as Storm...
- 15:05 Ayrshire boxing legend Alec Mullen backs Irvine ace Ryan Collins to...
- 15:05 Crime scene investigation officers in West Cumbrian town centre
- 15:04 South Sudanese exiles fear kidnap after activists disappear in Kenya
- 15:04 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea have been so good at Stamford Bridge this...
- 15:04 Manchester United take advantage of bizarre 'loophole' ahead of...
- 15:04 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 15:03 NOSTALGIA: Old pictures of Chesterfield Co-op
- 15:03 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:02 Traffic lights review before upgrade works began would have put...
- 15:02 New cafe bar to bring back to life disused bank building
- 15:02 Double penalty points for drivers caught using mobile phone
- 15:02 Sheffield resident heard "shouting and loud voices" moments before...
- 15:02 Northern Powerhouse Minister to speak at major conference on how...
- 15:01 Wall Street slips on weak oil prices; Fed minutes in focus
- 15:01 Iran sends delegation to Saudi for talks on rejoining haj
- 15:01 Germany's 'man of the streets' Schulz plots path to defeat Merkel
- 15:00 Calthorpe Estates expands senior team
- 15:00 More than 160 floral tributes left at scene where Sheffield man was...
- 14:59 Hairdressers are being reminded about TV licensing
- 14:59 Uzbek journalist Muhammad Bekjanov freed after 18 years
- 14:58 Jo Cox’s husband calls for ‘massive party to show our unity’
- 14:58 AMBER WARNING: Storm Doris set to batter Lancashire with winds of...
- 14:58 Rare white mole found near Carnforth