Ethiopia's Merera Gudina detained after trip to Europe
A prominent opposition leader in Ethiopia has been detained after he returned from Europe.
Merera Gudina had violated Ethiopia's state of emergency by having contact with "terrorist" and "anti-peace" groups, state-linked media reported.
Mr Merera criticised the state of emergency in an address to the European parliament on 9 November.
The government imposed it in October to end an unprecedented wave of protests against its 25-year rule.
More than 11,000 people have since been arrested.
Africa Live: More on this and other stories Are Ethiopian protests a game changer? Mr... read more
- 07:21 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema sends message to haters and gives...
- 07:19 England name team to take on Australia in Ashes opener as Jake Ball...
- 07:19 Flood alerts issued for Cumbria
- 07:19 Does Canada celebrate thanksgiving? When and why do they do it?
- 07:17 Colin Montgomery: Politicians who should go on Casualty and Beechgrove
- 07:17 Leader comment: Single Market may be UK’s single option for Brexit
- 07:16 Liverpool news: WATCH Naby Keita score stunning goal for RB Leipzig...
- 07:16 Liverpool news: Frank Lampard makes bold Premier League and...
- 07:16 Chelsea news: Antonio Conte has the future of Stamford Bridge at...
- 07:16 Ashes: England reveal team for first Test as Jake Ball gets the nod...
- 07:16 Red flags everyone should look out for when they’re dating
- 07:15 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:14 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:13 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:13 Hull Live: Breaking News, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:13 Shrimps can’t keep failing to fire
- 07:11 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:11 Funerals, birthdays and potentially even his own wedding -...
- 07:10 Australian school apologises for 'suggestive' saint statue
- 07:09 Man City manager Pep Guardiola reacts to Feyenoord win and Phil...
- 07:09 Manchester United predicted line up vs Basel
- 07:09 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:07 The TGI Fridays tug-of-war: Kingswood and city centre tussle over...
- 07:06 Road near Kirkham closed after flooding
- 07:05 Uuganaa Ramsay: Equality and fairness? People with disability are...
- 07:05 James Cant: We’re saving more babies with heart defects thanks to...
- 07:02 Skype removed from China Apple and Android app stores
- 07:02 Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann drops bombshell:...
- 07:02 WWII Spitfire recovered from Owersby field
- 07:02 Vile footage shows police woman being spat at 24 TIMES