Ethiopia-Djibouti electric railway line opens
Ethiopia and Djibouti have launched the first fully electrified cross-border railway line in Africa.
It links Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, to the Red Sea port of Djibouti - a stretch of more than 750km (466 miles).
Travelling at 120km/h, the new service cuts the journey time down from three days by road to about 12 hours.
The $3.4bn (£2.7bn) project was built with the help of funding from a Chinese bank and will have Chinese staff.
Africa Live: More on this and other stories The track runs parallel to the abandoned Ethio-Djibouti railway, built more than 100 years ago.
The BBC's... read more
- 15:03 Free-range eggs become ‘barn eggs’ following bird flu
- 15:03 Newcastle songwriter tries to sue U2 for £4m over sample from...
- 15:03 Disgraced Adam Johnson claims he was given too harsh a sentence...
- 15:03 Man City skipper Vincent Kompany suffers another injury setback
- 15:03 Jose Mourinho must convince Zlatan Ibrahimovic to stay at...
- 15:02 South Lakes Safari Zoo: Report shows hundreds of animal deaths
- 15:02 UK child migrant so hungry she 'ate grain meant for pigs'
- 15:02 Were you one of the people who helped woman being attacked in street?
- 15:02 East Lancs Chief Exec named in top 50 CEOs in NHS
- 15:02 NHS cuts: Harrogate student with coeliac struggles to afford...
- 15:01 Grieving relatives of the Tunisia attack to sue tour operator
- 15:01 Pancake Day 2017: How to make perfect pancakes from scratch
- 15:00 Recipe found in medieval mystic’s writings was probably for ‘drugges’
- 15:00 Alzheimer’s research - the grim truth: 20 years of work and still...
- 15:00 Years-long dream of European exchange ended in half an hour
- 15:00 Jonny Owen says Don't Take Me Home highlights the similarities...
- 14:59 Aaron Ramsey makes huge Arsene Wenger admission: Arsenal players...
- 14:59 Ferrari boss breaks media silence in staggering admission about...
- 14:59 F1 2017 driver helmets: Every new design ahead of the upcoming season
- 14:58 Championship final table predicted by computer: Who will make the...
- 14:58 Nelson filmmaker nominated for national awards
- 14:58 What does ‘free-range’ actually mean? It’s complicated
- 14:58 #IAMGRIMSBY Vote now for your favourite fish and chip shop!
- 14:57 #softcoup: the plot to oust Corbyn (that might not really exist)
- 14:57 First full vegan cafe moving to Birmingham city centre
- 14:57 Liam Payne and pregnant Cheryl celebrate first anniversary
- 14:57 David Walliams moves on from Nightly Show to star in Teletubbies
- 14:57 Birmingham City poll: Who is your favourite loan striker ever to...
- 14:57 The holiday destinations where prices have PLUMMETED
- 14:57 North Wales boxers to square up for Welsh light-heavyweight crown