Essex school's teacher and parent parking ticket plan halted
Not a single fine was issued during a £5,000 trial to get teachers and parents to police roads outside a primary school, it has emerged.
Volunteers were asked to act as traffic wardens at Tilbury Pioneer Academy in Essex in September 2015.
But the BBC can reveal the powers were enforced by just one parent, with no penalty imposed.
Thurrock Council defended the project, saying it highlighted the "deterrent value of the project".
The pilot was introduced after the council said it only had six full-time traffic wardens to police illegal parking outside its 50 schools.
However, a... read more
- 19:45 BBC Breakfast presenters forced to intervene as baby bursts into...
- 19:39 After Stockport County loss, Morrell admits: 'We need some crazy...
- 19:37 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Saturday March...
- 19:36 Sylhet blasts kill four amid Bangladesh militant raid
- 19:35 Congo bloodbath as 42 cops beheaded after being ambushed by militias
- 19:35 Future of ferry remains all at sea
- 19:32 Last-gasp Sam Jones try puts RGC into WRU National Cup Final
- 19:31 FBI and NSA experts warn: US has to learn from UK and MUST counter...
- 19:30 Iran denies harassing U.S. warships in Gulf, warns of clashes
- 19:30 Manchester United tickets: A complete guide on how to attend the...
- 19:25 Ten arrested during Edinburgh fascist rally
- 19:21 Former Anfield favourite makes Philippe Coutinho prediction:...
- 19:21 Stockport County 2 Tamworth 1 : Former Lamb Lloyd haunts his old club
- 19:18 Death of Khyra Ishaq - recommendations from the Serious Case Review
- 19:15 Strictly Come Dancing comes to Burton as Russell Roof Tiles raise...
- 19:10 Grimsby Town striker Scott Vernon out for two weeks after head...
- 19:08 Eden Hazard informs friends he’s staying at Chelsea next season
- 19:08 Chelsea hold talks with Bundesliga club over striker transfer
- 19:07 Mark Robins faces nervous wait on Kwame Thomas and Jordan Willis...
- 19:06 Brilliant Town put dent in Banbury’s play-off hopes
- 19:06 Jockey Jacob seals winning double at Stratford
- 19:06 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 19:06 The ECHO takes a look at the history of the EMR site following last...
- 19:06 Streets of hope: Granby's good news story keeps evolving
- 19:01 Chelsea's Dominic Solanke subject of interest from RB Leipzig as...
- 18:58 Last-gasp heartbreak for Gainsborough Trinity as Pilgrims and...
- 18:58 Lithuania boss Edgaras Jankauskas eyes England shock: 'Iceland...
- 18:57 Brigg Road closed after accident
- 18:52 How your bank balance could be better or worse off from April 1
- 18:52 Four police cars 'block off part of Anlaby Road' following crash