Enormous mumps outbreak in Arkansas: More than 400 people infected with the virus across the state
More than 400 people have been infected with mumps in Arkansas.
The enormous outbreak, reported on Friday, has sparked an urgent investigation to contain the spread.
Cities and towns across the state have recorded at least 427 recent cases.
Most of the patients are children, with more than 30 schools reporting numerous infections.
WHAT IS MUMPS? Mumps is a virus of the salivary gland.
It is spread through saliva, commonly on glasses, plates and cutlery.
The infection is incurable and can lead to devastating health concerns in adults.
Sufferers have lost their hearing, become infertile,... read more
- 20:27 The symptoms of ovarian cancer women need to know
- 20:27 Brexit Bill defeated in the House of Lords
- 20:26 Emmerdale spoilers: Aaron Dingle bravely stands up to bigot Jason...
- 20:25 Jose Mourinho shock: Could the Man Utd boss be set for a dream move...
- 20:23 Man City team reveal they're big fans of THIS internet sensation at...
- 20:22 Coventry City manager Russell Slade says home advantage could be...
- 20:22 Dixons and Capita drop out of FTSE 100
- 20:20 Andy Murray through to third round of Dubai Championship after...
- 20:19 What CAN you legally do in Derbyshire with a mobile phone in a car?
- 20:19 Monster jailed after “campaign of rape”
- 20:19 POLL: What are your sleep habits?
- 20:18 David Haye v Tony Bellew: Hayemaker opens up on Achilles injury...
- 20:17 Belper barber celebrates 25 years with family business
- 20:16 Property tycoon denies threatening business partner’s pregnant wife
- 20:16 Huddersfield Giants vs Hull FC preview with opinion, key battle and...
- 20:14 Zombies wanted for Huddersfield room escape game Facility 43
- 20:14 WARNING: This horrifying video shows why tougher penalties are...
- 20:14 Coma man forgot cocaine test date in Worksop
- 20:14 Software specialist visited by chairman of West Lindsey District...
- 20:14 WATCH: Henhurst Hill Social Club gala was a hit with the crowds in...
- 20:14 Stocks, dollar up on U.S. rate hike bets, Trump relief
- 20:14 Argentina's Macri pledges transparency as prosecutors probe family...
- 20:13 Arsenal are perfect opponents for Liverpool, says Sami Hyypia
- 20:13 Oprah for President?
- 20:13 Emmerdale spoilers: Is Rakesh dead as Jimmy King’s kidnap revenge...
- 20:09 Britain's 'City minister' sidelined from role in Brexit
- 20:09 Manchester United star Marcos Rojo steps into £95,000 Cadillac...
- 20:09 Chelsea confident Antonio Conte deal with Inter Milan won't happen
- 20:07 How to see the solar eclipse of summer 2017 - best times and...
- 20:06 Temporary closure of the A595