England impressed during first 45 minutes against Malta but Wayne Rooney must make an impact further forward if he wants to keep his place
I was encouraged by England's first 45 minutes at Wembley on Saturday night, you could see what the new manager Gareth Southgate was trying to instil in his players.
There was good movement from the forward players, particularly Jesse Lingard, and a good change of pace with the ball. It was a very easy game possession-wise of course, almost like a training match where you just concentrate on attacking, but the energy was excellent.
Then it just petered out, went off the boil. We could have picked people out to score more goals in the second half but didn't. Very disappointing.
HENDERSON -... read more
- 00:17 PM refuses to rule out blocking Scots MPs voting on Brexit law
- 00:17 Cobra fang club: The rising popularity of Kenyan snake farms
- 00:16 Remarkable dog awarded animal OBE for being owner’s ‘lifeline’
- 00:16 Wetherspoons diner found ‘worm’ inside her half-eaten chicken wings
- 00:16 What does the future hold for people growing old with HIV?
- 00:16 Cambuslang man rubs shoulders with golfing greats at first European...
- 00:15 Reina attack highlights widening chasm in Turkish lifestyles
- 00:13 Kuenssberg scorned for Corbyn misquote
- 00:13 Netflix adds record breaking 7 million new subscribers as profits...
- 00:13 Iraq: ‘Victory’ over Isis in eastern Mosul
- 00:13 China reveals 'Sharp Sword' stealth drone that can carry two TONNES...
- 00:13 Syria: Government troops battle to cling on to cut-off Deir Ezzor
- 00:13 iPhone 8 will recognize its owner's face: Handset will have special...
- 00:13 Israel: ‘Cold-blooded’ killing at homes’ demolition protest
- 00:13 Rail nincompoops handed tram keys
- 00:13 NHS cuts scheme takes another hit
- 00:13 Puerto Ricans celebrate for Oscar Lopez
- 00:13 ‘Spotters’ in new role at Leeds United, Huddersfield Town and...
- 00:13 Npower bottom of energy customer satisfaction survey
- 00:13 Top 10 most complained-about ads of 2016
- 00:13 Blue Peter goes green as badges made from recycled yogurt pots
- 00:12 The vegan trying to make the perfect burger
- 00:10 Stars shun Donald Trump’s invitation to perform at his 'elegant'...
- 00:10 Life and death on Thailand's lethal roads
- 00:10 Hong Kong: Twenty years later
- 00:09 How Sam Sunderland won the world's toughest race... Britain's first...
- 00:09 Chelsea Under 18s cruise into FA Youth Cup fifth round as Mason...
- 00:09 Jos Buttler backing under-pressure captain Eoin Morgan as England...
- 00:07 Guinea-Bissauan winger sprints length of the pitch to bag stunner...
- 00:07 Masters Snooker: World No1 Mark Selby beats Mark Williams in final...