Engineers survey lost Hull WW1 trawler Viola
Engineers are flying to the South Atlantic in a fresh push to bring a rusting World War One trawler back to England.
The Viola has been rusting on the island of South Georgia for decades.
If the vessel can be brought back by spring, it could form part of a maritime heritage legacy trail for Hull City of Culture.
Marine engineer Ros Spink, however, said breeding seals nearby were "a consideration".
After the war, the Viola was a whaler, seal-catcher and support vessel for scientific expeditions but has since been rusting 7,750 miles away in South Georgia.
In 1982 it was one of the... read more
- 09:42 Crews tackle fire at commercial building in Bispham
- 09:42 Midwife units see one in four mums transferred by ambulance to...
- 09:42 Sign up now for Colour Dash 2017
- 09:41 Beef scheme tagging kits on their way after delays
- 09:41 One lane closed on Southbound M61 due to accident
- 09:41 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be...
- 09:41 Sunderland defender Paddy McNair gives a thumbs up from his...
- 09:41 Trump picks climate sceptic Pruitt environment chief
- 09:41 50mph average speed cameras removed from the A180 - video
- 09:40 Four-vehicle crash causes A38 traffic chaos
- 09:39 LIVE: Four vehicles involved in collision on A38 at Clay Mills
- 09:38 GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks, euro push higher as ECB stimulus plan looms
- 09:38 Japan's Abe may not be first sitting PM to visit Pearl Harbor -...
- 09:37 Cutting the ribbon at helpline’s new home
- 09:36 Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool updates as West...
- 09:35 Sports Direct blames Brexit pound collapse as profits fall by a...
- 09:35 Delays on Flensburg Way after reports of an accident
- 09:34 This dad has spent £30,000 on facial modification to look like a...
- 09:34 Hospital bosses tell feeding tube inquest "lessons were not learned"
- 09:33 Victor Anichebe is amazing, says team-mate Jermain Defoe
- 09:32 Ghana election commission website hacked
- 09:32 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ends Arsenal’s dream by stressing he...
- 09:32 Traffic chaos as route to M55 is shut after crash
- 09:31 Police chief pleased with leadership report
- 09:30 Four vehicles involved in collision on A38 at Clay Mills
- 09:30 Man sues NHS after he lost most of his penis to a...
- 09:29 Driver thought she had a flat tyre when she reversed into and...
- 09:28 Garry Monk reveals Leeds transfer plans for January window
- 09:28 Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil reveal their exact wage demands – and...
- 09:27 Letters - December 6, 2016