Energy, bank stocks lead Wall Street higher
Stocks on Wall Street rose Wednesday led by the energy sector as oil prices rallied and as financials gained on the increasing likelihood of an interest rate hike after strong economic data.
Activity in the U.S. services sector hit an 11-month high in September, an encouraging sign for economic growth that may nudge the Federal Reserve toward an interest rate increase before the year ends.
Banks .SPXBK, seen benefiting from an eventual rate hike, gained 2 percent as a group -the most for any day in two months.
"We’re taking a little victory lap today after the surprisingly good... read more
- 00:21 City news: Unilever, Serco, BAE Systems and Hotel Chocolat
- 00:21 Wedding Jewelry by Victoria James
- 00:21 WWE Live 2017 at Genting Arena will see Midlands wrestling stars...
- 00:20 Leeds and Sheffield universities to benefit from £126m...
- 00:18 'Room for improvement' in rail safety, 10 years on from Grayrigg
- 00:17 One fifth of UK shoppers fear Brexit may impact spending - PwC survey
- 00:17 How Peter Thiel’s company Palantir was built with CIA funding and...
- 00:17 Chimps DON'T follow the leader: Researchers find they are more...
- 00:17 Mundell: Tax rise will drive away immigration from Scotland
- 00:17 Tories back plans for new nuclear power plants in Scotland
- 00:12 Do YOU know who your rivals in the office are? Experts find most of...
- 00:12 Google taking on Uber with 'carpool' service using its Waze app
- 00:12 Hackers can steal your information simply by analyzing the LED...
- 00:12 On the 20th anniversary of Dolly's birth, researchers reveal they...
- 00:11 Banks' bond trading up in 2016 for first time since 2012 after...
- 00:06 All-important antidote to mindless Hollywood pulp
- 00:06 Time to mothball divas’ swansong opera
- 00:07 Paige Doherty's family start #NoJusticeForPaige campaign and call...
- 00:06 The veins Nafta opened in Mexico
- 00:06 Hamilton rallies against ‘outdated’ Formula One
- 00:06 Gymnastics doc accused of sex crimes
- 00:06 Laidlaw out: A massive loss
- 00:06 Tata must honour its pledge to steel workers
- 00:06 A man at the heart of battles that shaped countless lives
- 00:06 ‘Fortress Australia’ – Government seeks Trump-like powers against...
- 00:07 Not tonight, I really DO have a headache: One in 100 suffer 'coital...
- 00:07 HS2 work to start after final hurdle cleared
- 00:06 Corbyn is no whipping boy
- 00:06 Ecuador: Presidential election goes to run-off
- 00:06 Turkey: Pro-Kurdish party leader jailed for five months