Energy, bank stocks lead Wall Street higher
Stocks on Wall Street rose Wednesday led by the energy sector as oil prices rallied and as financials gained on the increasing likelihood of an interest rate hike after strong economic data.
Activity in the U.S. services sector hit an 11-month high in September, an encouraging sign for economic growth that may nudge the Federal Reserve toward an interest rate increase before the year ends.
Banks .SPXBK, seen benefiting from an eventual rate hike, gained 2 percent as a group -the most for any day in two months.
"We’re taking a little victory lap today after the surprisingly good... read more
- 10:02 Dan Evans battles past Bernard Tomic to continue remarkable...
- 10:02 This artist paints women’s bitchy resting faces
- 10:02 Donald Trump inauguration: 45th US president to be sworn in
- 10:02 Delays on the A51 at Whittington due to an accident
- 10:02 Kenwick Park GC to hold Ashton Turner weekend for new tour...
- 10:02 Donald Trump's inauguration: Here's everything you need to know
- 10:01 Divock Origi urges Liverpool team-mates to concentrate on...
- 10:01 Man arrested following armed robberies
- 10:01 I’ll unify America, pledges Trump... but the protests have already...
- 10:01 Man dies after serious crash
- 10:00 Charity on the lookout for help
- 10:00 Retail sales fall 1.9% in December
- 10:00 You should report passengers who watch porn on public transport,...
- 09:59 Sheffield teacher named as Yorkshire’s ‘souper star’
- 09:59 Nottinghamshire farmer plants 'edible woodland'
- 09:59 College plans to take on former deeds building
- 09:58 Funeral of Daniel McMullen takes place in Workington today
- 09:58 Hospital faces rise in business rates
- 09:58 Man caught on CCTV stealing meat worth £60 from Leeds Road Co-op
- 09:57 Overturned car in serious accident near Tamworth
- 09:57 Two patients treated after collision near West Midlands Water Ski...
- 09:57 Husband of Kulwinder Kaur charged with her murder
- 09:56 Lancaster cafe owner denies owing ex-staff wages
- 09:57 Aston Villa and Jordan Rhodes: We tried our best - Steve Bruce
- 09:56 City becomes national LGBT hub
- 09:56 Sheffield man jailed after turning 'ceramic bong' shaped like...
- 09:56 A new era for your favourite local newspapers
- 09:56 Dan Evans reaches fourth round of a Grand Slam for first time after...
- 09:56 Jealous husband stabbed wife to death because she talked to...
- 09:56 City News: Halfords' happy Christmas, furniture-makers fined and a...