Empire Theatre set to strike back after being saved from auction
Campaigners who feared a Burnley theatre they are fighting to save had faced its final curtain were celebrating this week after a plan to auction it off was scrapped.
News that the Empire Theatre in Cow Lane had been given a reprieve from the auctioneer's hammer was music to the ears of members of the Burnley Empire Theatre Trust's committee who are working tirelessly towards preserving and restoring it to its former glory.
Trust members have been working with solicitors representing the Duchy of Lancaster to come to an agreement and negotiate a timescale for the Trust to make progress.... read more
- 13:09 Bags of talent at Hartlepool dance festival
- 13:09 Carer plans a heartwarming Hartlepool singalong
- 13:08 Homelessness bill would focus councils on prevention
- 13:08 Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week ahead
- 13:08 Seahouses pupils stand up to cancer
- 13:08 Further works on landslip-hit road
- 13:07 Warning over fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop
- 13:07 GP swaps stethoscope for clarinet in European Doctors Orchestra
- 13:06 Has Sophie got the best job in the world?
- 13:05 Hartlepool man left partner bloody and beaten while baby slept...
- 13:05 SNP’s Paul Monaghan pays his brother Mark over 225 hours overtime
- 13:05 Memory match: PNE v Newcastle
- 13:04 Revised plans for controversial parking charges revealed
- 13:04 How dogs are really affected by fireworks – and what you can do to...
- 13:03 Dejan Lovren: This young star can be a top player for Liverpool
- 13:03 German watchdog to investigate February trades in Hugo Boss shares
- 13:02 309 registered sex offenders live in Scunthorpe
- 13:02 Stocks sag as bond 'bloodbath' shows no let up
- 13:02 Woman dies after car rolls onto its side during crash
- 13:02 Teenager 'found covered in blood' after Stratford Road knife attack
- 13:01 Court-free clickable bankruptcy 'removes stigma'
- 13:01 Attempted robbery at Ellesmere Port chemist by man believed to be...
- 13:00 Warning over fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop
- 12:59 Fake WhatsApp messages from Sainsbury’s and Topshop
- 13:00 WADA president Craig Reedie says testing process did not undermine...
- 12:59 Firefighters rescue man trapped in home near Knaresborough after...
- 12:59 Jurgen Klopp says he expects to give Liverpool defender Joe Gomez...
- 12:59 Rafa Benitez has got Newcastle bouncing... he was the antidote for...
- 12:59 Jurgen Klopp asks for permission to like Manchester United legend...
- 12:59 How dogs are really affected by fireworks – and what you can do to...