Electric cars set to get road priority in clean air zones
Electric cars could be given priority at traffic lights and exempted from one-way systems, under new proposals.
The government's planned clean air zones are intended to encourage drivers to choose less-polluting electric cars.
Proposed for five UK cities by 2020, the clean air zones will also introduce restrictions on older, polluting commercial vehicles.
Environment minister Therese Coffey said: "We need to tackle air pollution."
The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has told Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby and Southampton to introduce clean air... read more
- 06:27 Devastated family want to prevent other young deaths
- 06:27 Wearside MPs back rethink on Universal Credit roll-out
- 06:25 Weak sperm? Sleeping for THIS amount of time will boost semen health
- 06:25 £1m grant will help Lincoln woo more American visitors
- 06:24 Devastated parents want answers after tragic death of their baby boy
- 06:24 Car salesman wrote customer £14k cheque for two Mercedes - despite...
- 06:24 On board the sardine express - the overcrowded single carriage...
- 06:24 Harvey Weinstein scandal gives women courage to speak out
- 06:24 Ronnie O'Sullivan is good sport as fan storms snooker game and...
- 06:23 £3m rent arrears fears in South Tyneside
- 06:23 Councillors set for a battle against boundary changes
- 06:23 South Shields MP calls for rethink on Universal Credit roll-out
- 06:22 Guest column: The poor will suffer most if we don’t get a Brexit deal
- 06:21 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:21 Aston Villa news digest: Academy graduate back to prove a point;...
- 06:21 West Brom digest; Goalkeeper worries; Arsenal and Man United games...
- 06:21 Birmingham City news digest: Cotterill's emotional bond; injury...
- 06:21 The cost of dropping rubbish in Blackpool reaches £48k
- 06:21 Leeds police chase crash driver jailed
- 06:20 Barcelona news: Kylian Mbappe deal was DONE… but they chose Ousmane...
- 06:19 Devastated family want to prevent other young deaths
- 06:19 Rattling good fun heading to Hartlepool at prestige model rail show
- 06:19 Residents welcome new patio garden at Hartlepool retirement village
- 06:19 Tees Valley caution over recruiting more workers
- 06:19 Craig Harrison offers Hartlepool United injury update on Liam...
- 06:19 Hartlepool MP tells Parliament benefit reform is leaving people...
- 06:19 ‘Bin raiding’ incidents raise concern about identity theft risk in...
- 06:19 Thug jailed for assaulting girlfriend and her neighbour
- 06:19 Fans and club honour player
- 06:18 Extra cash donated to fund more CCTV