Electable? Leicester’s leader of the Labour party did it
One hundred and fifty years ago today, a controversial leader of the Labour party was born.
A pacifist, he climbed the political ladder becoming the Labour Party's first ever Prime Minister, by way of the people of Leicester, for whom he was their MP for 12 years.
Fiery Scotsman Ramsay MacDonald came to Leicester in 1900 to fight the Boer War's "khaki" election, as one of four candidates for two seats. But, he finished bottom, his anti-war attitude unwelcome in a patriotic Leicester.
Six years later, in a more moderate peacetime, MacDonald was taken under the wing of the Liberals... read more
- 06:21 Stoke City's first 99 Premier League wins in pictures - PART THREE
- 06:21 Chesterton residents: 'Move these unsightly bins from outside our...
- 06:21 Leek drink-driver fell asleep at side of A53 the morning after a...
- 06:21 Eggs of mosquito capable of carrying the Zika virus found in the UK
- 06:21 Staffordshire County Council family support worker jailed for...
- 06:21 Costa Coffee adds booze to its menu
- 06:20 Manchester United boss Mourinho won't be doing this at Stamford Bridge
- 06:21 Councils fine parents nearly £7 million over children’s school...
- 06:20 Cancer survivor offering performing arts scholarship to children...
- 06:20 Guardiola reveals first Man City concerns after four games without...
- 06:20 Who has been drink-driving?
- 06:20 Bayern defender explains why Man City coach 'never communicates'...
- 06:20 Nottingham’s own Oktoberfest is coming - with exclusive beer,...
- 06:19 Civil War comes to Sibford
- 06:19 Costa Coffee adds booze to its menu
- 06:19 Councils fine parents nearly £7 million over children’s school...
- 06:19 Pensioner robbed in Banbury town centre
- 06:14 Youngsters make their mark in commmunity
- 06:14 ‘Killer’ Asian Hornet’s UK invasion worse than we thought
- 06:14 Costa Coffee adds booze to its menu
- 06:14 Councils fine parents nearly £7 million over children’s school...
- 06:14 Proposed new town in Harborough district could house 7,000 people
- 06:13 Second independence referendum looms as Brexit minister rules out...
- 06:13 Police welcome sentencing of rapist jailed for 10 years after...
- 06:13 Man is jailed for assaulting woman in the Dart Inn in Stapenhill
- 06:13 Jobless in Burton and Swadlincote on the increase, new figures reveal
- 06:13 Costa Coffee adds booze to its menu
- 06:13 Councils fine parents nearly £7 million over children’s school...
- 06:13 Parents urged to swap candles for LED light for Halloween
- 06:04 Ross Douthat: Trump afterlife could be ugly