El Salvador judge reopens case of 1981 civil war massacre
A judge in El Salvador has reopened the case of a massacre allegedly carried out by soldiers in 1981 that is considered the worst atrocity committed during the country's brutal civil war, a lawyer involved in the matter said on Saturday.
The massacre took place in the northeastern town of El Mozote, allegedly at the hands of an elite army unit, and resulted in the deaths of between 900 and 1,200 people, mostly women and children.
The decision by Judge Alberto Guzman to reopen the matter marks the first time such a case has been allowed since an amnesty law was declared unconstitutional in... read more
- 10:53 Black cab and LandRover involved in dock road crash
- 10:52 Doncaster's Vulcan bomber to be put in storage, closed to public...
- 10:52 Overweight Nottinghamshire is becoming diabetic
- 10:52 Liverpool reject bid from Premier League rivals: This is why
- 10:51 Police operation to catch out shops serving alcohol to children in...
- 10:51 Transfer News LIVE: Arsenal done deal, Jesus joins Man City, Man...
- 10:50 Meet the mum who turned tragedy into helping other people
- 10:50 Nearly one in 10 secondary schools are under-performing - but...
- 10:48 VIDEO: Ovenden murder - residents speak of shock
- 10:48 Toddler died after being hit by mum’s car, inquest heard
- 10:48 County unveils plans for unitary authority
- 10:48 Wakefield secondary league tables in full: How does YOUR school rate?
- 10:48 Plan to demolish busy multi-storey car park
- 10:47 Did you see man assaulted in Chesterfield town centre?
- 10:47 Traffic stopped on M1 after serious collision
- 10:46 BHP Billiton and Vale set timeframe for Samarco mine claims
- 10:46 These are the 21 countries where Brit expats have the best lifestyle
- 10:46 Mainly dry but generally overcast
- 10:46 West Brom: All your transfer window questions answered
- 10:45 Newton Mearns showhome with international style
- 10:44 Diego Costa posts Instagram update after returning to Chelsea training
- 10:43 ‘Deja vu’ fears over Leeds trolleybus successor
- 10:43 Friends of dying Hull dad shave their heads for Dove House Hospice
- 10:43 GCSE league tables for Hull and East Riding: Every school ranked...
- 10:43 Hull City Council leader Steve Brady faces calls to resign over...
- 10:43 Beverley drink-driver Sarah Hodgson ran over Yorkshire Terrier in...
- 10:42 Theresa May says UK is ‘open for business’ after Brexit
- 10:42 Mainly dry but generally overcast
- 10:42 Nearly one in 10 secondary schools under-performing - but unions...
- 10:41 Heineken in advanced talks to buy Kirin's Brazilian unit - Valor