Egyptian parliament approves civil service law after rare defiance of Sisi
Egypt's parliament approved a civil service law on Tuesday aimed at combating corruption and bureaucracy after making amendments to the bill, the only one it had previously rejected out of hundreds put forward by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Lawmakers voted 401 to 26 in favour of the law, which regulates about 6.5 million state employees. Sisi has said Egypt could manage with just 1 million, an indication of his intention to prune back drastically.
Thousands of government workers protested against the law when it was first issued, saying it reduced their benefits and allowed officials to... read more
- 03:29 Asia stocks ease, dollar steadies after Fed-led losses
- 03:29 Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life is possible
- 03:26 Qantas profits buffeted by competition headwinds
- 03:26 SK Hynix CEO says will consider fresh bid for Toshiba chip unit stake
- 03:16 Aston Villa's slump: The Championship form table says it all for...
- 03:01 North Korea blames Malaysia for death of its citizen - KCNA
- 02:58 Rick and Morty troll fans everywhere with first teaser for season 3
- 02:57 'How my mother's organ donations brought new friendships'
- 02:57 Rainbow babies: The children bringing hope after loss
- 02:51 Fruit and veg: For a longer life eat 10 a day
- 02:48 Courts to ban cross-examination of victims by abusers
- 02:45 Civilians start fleeing homes after west Mosul offensive begins
- 02:36 Sniper Elite 4: How to get the perfect shot in the new gaming...
- 02:35 Nikkei drops led weaker by financials after U.S. yields fall
- 02:35 Adopted Romanian orphans 'still suffering in adulthood'
- 02:34 Parish council tax bills rise despite squeeze
- 02:33 New Trump travel ban delayed until next week, White House says
- 01:58 'Our favourite prey' Christian father & son ‘brutally burnt alive &...
- 01:58 Russia to target MERKEL? Putin builds model of GERMAN PARLIAMENT...
- 01:49 Anthony Joshua calls on heavyweight rival Deontay Wilder to face...
- 01:49 Paul Pogba and his brother Florentin make the family proud once...
- 01:41 Drivers have been warned to avoid these Midlands motorways during...
- 01:37 Donald Trump ‘DELAYS’ new ‘immigration ban’ order as he plans to...
- 01:32 The Indian politician with the reputation of a Bond villain
- 01:30 Indian sungazers keep up family tradition for four generations
- 01:28 Naomie Harris: What getting an OBE means to me
- 01:27 Earl Hays Press: Where Hollywood gets fake money and newspapers
- 01:27 Women and film: Is it still a man's world behind the camera?
- 01:27 A guided tour of the cybercrime underground
- 01:27 Jack Barsky: The KGB spy who lived the American dream