Egyptian high court reverses 14 death sentences against Islamists
Egypt's highest court on Wednesday quashed death sentences imposed on 14 Islamists over an attack on a police station in protest at the military's overthrow in 2013 of then-President Mohamed Mursi, the state news agency MENA said.
It was the court's latest reversal of many of the hundreds of death sentences imposed on Islamists after the ouster of Mursi, a Muslim Brotherhood member, a crackdown strongly criticised by Western government and human rights groups.
In Wednesday's decision, the Court of Cassation accepted appeals from the defendants filed last year against a lower criminal court... read more
- 00:23 Viewpoint: India court disregards woman's right to choose husband
- 00:23 Ambitious Wales economic growth plan that encourages firms to...
- 00:19 Quetta's Hazara: The community caged in its own city
- 00:19 Laurent Wauquiez: Right-winger is French opposition hope against...
- 00:16 University chiefs must curb pay excesses, says minister
- 00:16 Fury returns to London for UKAD steroid hearing
- 00:16 Clement warns City off celebrations
- 00:16 Klopp: I won’t apologise for squad swaps
- 00:16 New report praises West Yorkshire Police
- 00:16 Christine Keeler: the one that got the blame
- 00:16 State of the Nation(alists)
- 00:16 Guitar over Gaza
- 00:16 Grenfell victims still sidelined
- 00:16 Museum grab condemned as ‘bid to humiliate’ Catalonia
- 00:16 Emboldened Netanyahu set straight by EU
- 00:16 Celtics vs Bulls LIVE stream: How to watch Boston against Chicago...
- 00:16 Maduro hails socialist gains
- 00:16 Kerslake’s trust put in special measures
- 00:16 Ex-fire chief who led cuts appointed to Grenfell panel
- 00:16 A THIRD OF GIRLS ABUSED AT SCHOOL
- 00:15 'Worrying alarm call' for world's birds on brink of extinction
- 00:15 The SRU facing difficult questions over bid for English Premiership...
- 00:14 Concerns over Yorkshire police force’s 'stop and search' scrutiny
- 00:13 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:13 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:11 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:11 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:10 Full moons increase chances of fatal motorbike crashes
- 00:09 Councillor's faith restored as shop repair bike vandalised when he...
- 00:09 Punishments for animal abusers are going to get much tougher