Egypt says it prevented 12,000 people from illegally migrating in 2016
Egyptian border patrol and coast guard forces stopped more than 12,000 people of various nationalities from illegally entering or leaving the country in 2016, the military said on Wednesday,
Migrants have tried to cross to Italy from the African coast, particularly from Libya, where people traffickers operate with relative impunity. But boats have increasingly departed from Egypt.
The military listed "The arrest of 12,192 people of various nationalities and a total of 434 cases of illegal migration," in a statement on its achievements last year.
Egypt passed legislation in October... read more
- 18:07 FIRST PICTURE of 15-year-old Sheffield boy stabbed to death
- 18:07 South Yorkshire police commissioner hopes Sajid Javid will agree...
- 18:07 Masked burglars steal safe from Halifax home
- 18:07 Leamington C&AC round-up
- 18:07 Liverpool’s big night will be the Real thing
- 18:07 Man caught out by 'paedophile hunters' jailed for sex offences at...
- 18:02 Third of poorer families in England missing out on free food vouchers
- 18:01 Champagne populists? Far-right MEPs face inquiry into expenses
- 18:01 Wimbledon confirms it has no plans to rebrand ladies' tournament
- 18:01 Rafael Nadal still sees Novak Djokovic as main contender amid...
- 18:01 Mohamed Salah can become modern great like Messi and Ronaldo, says...
- 17:58 Champions League final: Why Phil Thompson is backing Liverpool to...
- 17:57 Letter of the week: Return the body of Sunderland land and brave...
- 17:56 Cinema to show Charlie Chaplin film accompanied by 'authentic' live...
- 17:54 Arsenal news: Unai Emery odds-on to complete transfer and reunion...
- 17:54 Man Utd news: Defender sends message to Jose Mourinho over his future
- 17:54 Now or Never campaign launches 2 Minute Litter Pick boards in...
- 17:54 Your TV might ‘break’ during the Champion’s League final, and...
- 17:54 Police appeal for missing Carlisle man, 29
- 17:53 Royal wedding cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason gets chart boost
- 17:52 Top 20 free UK museums and galleries for families
- 17:52 Harvey Weinstein's arrest explained: the charges and what's next
- 17:52 Harvey Weinstein: the remarkable downfall of Hollywood's biggest mogul
- 17:51 Teacher dies in tragic skydiving accident after heavy landing
- 17:50 Stratford AC retain Warwick Vase for third year in succession
- 17:49 United Utilities to close West Cumbrian road
- 17:49 McDonald’s votes to keep using plastic straws
- 17:47 Cinema to show Charlie Chaplin film accompanied by 'authentic' live...
- 17:46 Date set for funeral of legendary Sheffield boxing trainer Brendan...
- 17:46 FIRST PICTURE of 15-year-old Sheffield boy stabbed to death