Egypt: 'IS militants' kill 12 soldiers in Sinai peninsula
Suspected Islamist militants have killed 12 soldiers and injured eight in an attack on an army checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula, Egyptian security sources say.
The army says 15 militants were also killed in the attack, which took place near the town of Bir al-Abd.
Gunmen from the Sinai Province group are reported to be behind the attack.
It is Egypt's most active insurgent group, which pledged allegiance to so-called Islamic State in 2014.
Officials said a gun battle erupted after the militants opened fire on the checkpoint with light arms and heavy machine-guns.
Friday's attack was the... read more
- 09:25 Mansfield MP sorry for “unemployed wasters” post
- 09:25 Entries for the Derby Telegraph Business Awards 2018 are now OPEN!
- 09:25 Poundland to offer more fashion in its stores
- 09:25 Plans to bring another major sporting event to Leeds as city vows...
- 09:24 Road warnings continue in Calderdale weather chaos
- 09:24 Blood-soaked vandal smashed windows and doors at dentist’s and pet...
- 09:24 How the war on plastic could boost your Isa: Recycling and green...
- 09:24 College shutdown forces closure of Doncaster restaurant
- 09:24 Aubameyang to Arsenal: Batshuayi eyed to replace Dortmund ace amid...
- 09:24 Brave Harrogate musician highlights mental health in all-day gig
- 09:23 Manchester United could use Henrikh Mkhitaryan Arsenal comments to...
- 09:23 Poundland to offer more fashion in its stores
- 09:22 RBS criticised for ‘discriminating’ against rural Scottish communities
- 09:22 Jason Kerr is like an ‘exciting signing’ for St Johnstone
- 09:22 Three SNP MPs seek to strengthen parental bereavement bill
- 09:22 Scooter rider airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after...
- 09:22 Talking football: Will cup provide welcome distraction for Dundee...
- 09:22 Dundee United boss Csaba Laszlo hopes Scott Fraser’s Hearts link is...
- 09:22 Aussie flu: What is the deadly viral infection that’s rampaged the UK?
- 09:21 Sheffield motorists fork out more than £5m on council run parking...
- 09:20 KGH marks 10 years of life-saving bowel screening
- 09:20 Most new cars must be electric by 2030, ministers told
- 09:20 Carillion: Government 'inept' over crisis, says GMB boss
- 09:20 Abbeytown Carnival to end as you know it
- 09:19 Do you know what to keep in your car in winter? This list could...
- 09:19 Spring festival with a carnival feel comes to town
- 09:19 Main road into and out of Burnley closed
- 09:19 Jose Mourinho plans to play Alexis Sanchez on the right wing for...
- 09:19 Blood-soaked vandal smashed windows and doors at dentist’s and pet...
- 09:18 M1 crash causes traffic problems around Chesterfield