Eating more mussels could boost Vitamin D levels in Scots
Mussels will be eaten up to three times a week by volunteers in a new study to establish if the shellfish could boost Vitamin D levels in Scots.
Researchers at Aberdeen University’s Rowett Institute will use around 145kg of the mollusc to test how far the seafood can raise levels of the vitamin known to help prevent cancer and Multiple Sclerosis, as well as promote healthy bones.
Volunteers will cook and eat mussels over a three-month period as part of their normal diet.
While some taking part will eat no shellfish, others will eat them once, twice or three times a week.
Dr Alan Sneddon of... read more
- 07:47 Manchester United board promise to sign three Galacticos for...
- 07:47 Gorgeous creatures of NYC Downlow captured in 3D – in pictures
- 07:45 Scientists warn big rise in severe earthquakes is coming next year...
- 07:45 Delays after collision on M1 near Rotherham
- 07:43 Coronation Street boss Kate Oates reveals how she persuaded Alison...
- 07:42 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:40 Thanks for fantastic cheese on toast, Ian
- 07:39 Live: Breaking news, weather and travel Monday November 20
- 07:38 Queen and Duke star in new portraits to mark 70th anniversary
- 07:35 Beaten, drugged and locked up in mental hospital
- 07:34 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:34 How to do a job badly
- 07:33 Toddler found in abandoned car after police chase in Rotherham
- 07:33 Double yellow lines
- 07:33 Hundreds of lost lives on roads every year
- 07:32 Warwickshire aiming to benefit from Coventry UK City of Culture bid
- 07:32 Volunteers plant 1,500 trees to help woodland grow
- 07:30 Tombola staff are all tuckered out for I’m a Celeb launch
- 07:28 Are these piles of slop the worst school meals ever made?
- 07:28 Happy anniversary, your Majesty! Queen releases official portraits...
- 07:28 Work starts on new £350,000 visitor centre which aims to create a...
- 07:26 The Weird, Wonderful Web
- 07:25 Burton Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel on Monday, November 20
- 07:25 Hartlepool boss keen to move on from Aldershot loss
- 07:24 Bella Hadid models underwear backstage as she gets ready for...
- 07:23 Brexit divorce bill: Theresa May to hold 'inner cabinet' talks
- 07:23 Serial killer Charles Manson dies aged 83 in hospital after falling...
- 07:22 Paedophile tried to get ‘father’ to sexually abuse his...
- 07:19 Manchester United transfer 'target' Willian could solve problem...
- 07:19 Man City battle Liverpool for German international and more...