Eating milk and cheese 'does NOT increase risk of dying from heart disease and stroke'
The study of more than 20,000 people debunks previous research which has suggested dairy produce harms cardiovascular health.
For the first time scientists looked at genetics instead of previous methods that have relied on patient questionnaires.
They examined those who carry a gene mutation known as MCM6, which is linked to the tolerance of lactose, the sugar found in milk.
Despite those who carry the gene consuming more dairy products than those who do not, the scientists found that their rates of cardiovascular disease and overall death were not higher.
“When we analysed the association... read more
- 07:22 Ronaldo to Man Utd: Real Madrid star will not handle Premier League...
- 07:23 CCTV APPEAL: Theft from Leyland warehouse
- 07:22 Second man charged with conspiracy to murder over death in Moira...
- 07:22 Manchester City v Newcastle Utd: DeAndre Yedlin confident for...
- 07:22 LIVE: breaking news, traffic, travel and weather in Lincolnshire...
- 07:22 The Dean’s Reflection column with John Dobson
- 07:12 Chorley boss Matt Jansen backs Nick Haughton for Football League...
- 07:12 Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Malcom NOT ENOUGH for Arsenal - Lawrenson
- 07:11 Guest column: Public spaces are a jewel in Worksop’s crown
- 07:10 Woman charged over knifepoint robberies in Sheffield
- 07:10 Crimean memorial
- 07:10 Lib Dems and scandal of our empty homes
- 07:09 Appeal for help in raising £1.5million for Warwick church tower...
- 07:07 This is how to get rid of bad breath
- 07:07 Guest column: Public spaces are a jewel in Worksop’s crown
- 07:04 Man Utd end interest in Brazil star to hand Tottenham huge transfer...
- 07:03 Sturgeon says councils could get power to police Airbnb
- 07:03 Mother charges five-year-old daughter rent ‘to teach her about the...
- 07:00 Bamber Bridge have the stomach for promotion battle
- 06:56 Sunderland school celebrates Ofsted success
- 06:56 Businessman gets drink-driving ban after crashing after leaving...
- 06:56 Group campaigning about future of NHS launched in Sunderland
- 06:56 Sunderland hospital takes in 50 flu patients in a week
- 06:56 Sunderland fitness guru’s guide to getting fit for 2018
- 06:55 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Jose Mourinho and Ed Woodward agree...
- 06:54 Crews sought for Antarctica voyage
- 06:54 Alnwick’s one of easiest places to pass driving test
- 06:54 WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES: Jail for Preston dog owner who starved his...
- 06:54 Eyesore shelter daubed with graffiti and is a ‘drug den’
- 06:54 Guest column: New owner is great news for the Tigers