Dwight Yorke criticises Gareth Southgate's decision to drop Wayne Rooney
Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has criticised England interim boss Gareth Southgate's treatment of Wayne Rooney.
After Three Lions captain Rooney was booed by sections of the home crowd during Saturday's 2-0 win over Malta at Wembley, Southgate confirmed at a press conference on Monday - with the 30-year-old sat alongside him - that he would be left out of the first XI for Tuesday's match in Slovenia.
Rooney, who is his country's all-time top-scorer with 53 goals, subsequently came on for the last 17 minutes of the 0-0 draw in Ljubljana.
Yorke told 888sport: "People... read more
- 07:23 Having mates key to overcoming life’s challenges
- 07:22 Tour de Yorkshire 2017: Photos and videos from Stage 3
- 07:21 Council starts fining people £100 for walking more than four dogs...
- 07:21 Jamie Redknapp: Antonio Conte is lucky to have this Chelsea duo
- 07:20 Broken-down tram causing delays to all services
- 07:20 DRIVER ALERT: Mobile speed camera sites across North Lincolnshire...
- 07:20 HS2 launch £2.75 billion contract to design trains for the project
- 07:20 A new way to help out rescue dogs in North Lincolnshire
- 07:20 North Lincolnshire band celebrate being crowned champions
- 07:20 Parents of six-year-old boy in fundraising plea
- 07:18 Warning to 'look while you cook' after serious fire in Shobnall...
- 07:18 Number of public access defibrillators on the increase across region
- 07:17 Birmingham City digest: Harry Redknapp's future; Friendly...
- 07:17 Aston Villa digest: January signings rated; Celtic goalkeeper...
- 07:16 Eminem sues New Zealand governing party over Lose Yourself
- 07:14 Having mates key to overcoming life’s challenges
- 07:14 Matthew Bates confident Hartlepool United can beat Doncaster Rovers
- 07:13 Barcelona target two Premier League clubs in massive summer raid
- 07:13 What you can do if your neighbour smokes cannabis?
- 07:13 Heartbreak of Josh Fell's parents on what should have been his 21st...
- 07:13 Prom memories from Winifred Holtby school: Are you pictured?
- 07:13 77 pictures that sum up a nineties night out in Hull
- 07:13 Exeter Chiefs 36 Northampton Saints 12: Tom Vickers' review and...
- 07:13 Wakefield gallery’s chance of £100,000 prize in prestigious art...
- 07:11 Man United News: Two-year contract offer, Ibrahimovic hint,...
- 07:06 British Superbikes: Shane Byrne clinches pole position at Oulton...
- 07:06 Arsene Wenger praises Arsenal star despite loss to Tottenham
- 07:05 Teenage thugs spared jail for vicious gang attack on cyclist in Derby
- 07:02 The Euro ballroom scene: when voguing came to town
- 07:02 Number of public access defibrillators on the increase across region