Dutch may allow assisted suicide for those who feel life is over
The Dutch government intends to draft a law that would legalise assisted suicide for people who feel they have "completed life", but are not necessarily terminally ill, it said on Wednesday.
The Netherlands was the first country to legalise euthanasia, in 2002, but only for patients who were considered to be suffering unbearable pain with no hope of a cure.
In a letter to parliament, the health and justice ministers said the details remained to be worked out but that people who "have a well-considered opinion that their life is complete, must, under strict and careful... read more
- 13:42 Police probing whether Walton Prison drive-by shooting was linked...
- 13:42 YP Letters: Tower blaze raises question of fracking safety
- 13:42 YP Letters: Hospital wait shows cost of uncontrolled immigration
- 13:42 Compensation offered to South Yorkshire residents affected by HS2...
- 13:41 Power cut in Harborough affects about 800 properties
- 13:41 Plans submitted to move Harborough war memorial
- 13:41 Director aims for heritage museums reboot in Sheffield after a life...
- 13:40 Hillsborough: Tony Bland's family 'hugely disappointed' by no charges
- 13:39 Kremlin: Putin, Trump to meet on sidelines of G20 summit
- 13:39 Former Mayor of Pendle suspended over racist joke share
- 13:38 Wakefield grandmother's last minute dream meeting with Sir Cliff...
- 13:38 Yorkshire weather: Wet and windy but good news for the weekend
- 13:38 Buckshaw retirement residents try out Virual Reality
- 13:37 FMQs: Sturgeon under pressure to apologise for ‘not being straight’...
- 13:37 Bearded Scotsman hunted by police in Cumbria disorder probe
- 13:37 VOTE: Derbyshire still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:37 Is this the best youth game ever? Watch stunning cup final comeback
- 13:36 Well known Doncaster town centre GP dies
- 13:36 Jermain Defoe signs three-year deal at Bournemouth worth £20m...16...
- 13:36 Smarty pants? Children with higher IQ at lower risk of dying from...
- 13:35 Sunderland sale collapses: Ellis Short to remain, Simon Grayson set...
- 13:35 Fire safety checks come back on Cumbrian high rises
- 13:35 6 reasons to leave it all behind and go to beautiful Dominica
- 13:35 John Carver tells Rafa Benitez to sign game-changers from Chelsea...
- 13:34 This Morning viewers INCONSOLABLE as couple get married LIVE up The...
- 13:34 Bemusement arcade
- 13:34 Nigeria: Ogoni widows sue Shell over military crackdown
- 13:34 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 13:34 Specs help give Brian gift of sight
- 13:33 Alexis Sanchez, Lionel Messi and Javier Hernandez – the 40 stars...