Duns pupils wear their dunces hats with pride
0 Have your say Duns Primary School pupils are determined to turn the meaning of the Dunces cap on its head, and be a symbol of pride.
Philospher John Duns Scotus, Duns’ most famous son, was one of the leading philosopher-theologians of the 13th century but his ideas were rejected in the 16th century and anyone who still believed in them was referred to as a dunce.
The word continued to be used to describe those ‘who foolishly clung on to outmoded doctrine’ and gradually changed to meaning a person who is considered incapable of learning. Nowadays dunces are often shown wearing paper cone... read more
- 11:02 Daring councillor’s 70ft charity plunge
- 11:02 Barcelona name just one Spaniard in starting XI for the first time...
- 11:02 Juventus star Dani Alves says he quit Barcelona because they were...
- 11:02 Zlatan Ibrahimovic must love playing with Paul Pogba and Chelsea...
- 11:02 Pervert police officer sacked after being caught with indecent...
- 11:02 Sheffield City Region leaders unite to tackle inequality and boost...
- 11:02 South Yorkshire farmer’s live lamb cam is an internet hit
- 11:02 FTSE steadies after setting one-month high, Unilever slumps
- 11:02 VIDEO: Family of Sheffield man shot dead say 'We are all grieving'
- 11:02 Global airlines see Doncaster Sheffield airport in new light
- 11:02 Chinese news agency warns South Korea's Lotte over THAAD
- 11:01 Lindley hair salon fire: Two arrested on suspicion of wounding with...
- 11:00 Hartlepool Marina lock emptied for first time in more than 20 years
- 11:00 Another major deal for Hartlepool company
- 11:00 Appeal for witnesses after burglary in Northamptonshire village
- 11:00 Piers Morgan for KNIGHTHOOD? Fans make huge demands as host...
- 11:00 Warning to parents over highly infectious bug sweeping UK schools
- 11:00 London Midland praised for improvements in customer service
- 11:00 Police want to speak to this man about bank card stolen in Corby
- 11:00 UNITARY AUTHORITY: Labour calls for ‘end to shambles’
- 10:59 Police want to speak to this man about bank card stolen in Corby
- 10:59 CH1ChesterBID Welcome Ambassador Luka Jake Morrell: A Day in the Life
- 10:59 Warning to parents over highly infectious bug sweeping UK schools
- 10:59 Sir Tom Jones to perform summer concerts and here's how to get tickets
- 10:58 Gang of beggers pictured getting out of Romanian registered car...
- 10:57 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 10:57 More than one third of fires in Cumbria down to arsonists
- 10:57 UNITARY AUTHORITY: Labour calls for ‘end to shambles’
- 10:57 Juan Mata: What I think of Manchester United drawing Chelsea in the...
- 10:56 Five cars damaged in one night