Drinkers up in arms over plans to close 200-year-old pub
DRINKERS are said to be up in arms over proposals to close one of Barrow's two locals, the 200-year-old Royal Oak.
The owners at Enterprise Inns want to sell the lease to the Co-op to redevelop the site as a new convenience store.
The plan has yet to be given approval by North Lincolnshire Council, and villagers are pointing out that Barrow already has a Costcutter store.
Independent traders fear is will harm their businesses.
The Oak at present is run by mother and daughter Jacquie and Caroline Hayward.
No food is served but the bars are open from 3pm, Monday to Friday and from noon on... read more
- 08:13 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 08:11 EXCLUSIVE: Man United to make transfer decision over Victor...
- 08:10 Pep Guardiola rethinks his opinion on Man City title hopes
- 08:10 Manchester United bid for Atletico Madrid winger Carrasco and more...
- 08:08 Derbyshire man and fellow suspect are accused of murder after stabbing
- 08:07 Staff at Kirklees Council tips threaten strike action
- 08:07 Man City in transfer battle with Everton and Leicester for £20m...
- 08:06 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Sunday January 22
- 08:04 2017 property crash would see £399 a week wiped off UK property values
- 08:03 Antonio Conte: This player's form means I struggle to pick...
- 08:03 Arsenal star Petr Cech sends message to title rivals Chelsea
- 08:02 Sick messages to girl, 13, from man, 63, caught out by...
- 08:02 On This Day: £102k bingo win for Scunthorpe pensioner, a new pitch...
- 08:02 Is Scunthorpe venue the first to advertise Christmas party night...
- 08:02 Revealed: The best and worst GP surgeries in North Lincolnshire as...
- 08:02 Super slimmer unveils her amazing 4-stone weight loss
- 08:02 A transplant saved my life - please sign up so you can save others
- 08:02 Fines for litter louts more than double in North Lincolnshire
- 08:00 My Yorkshire: Brontë expert Juliet Barker on her favourite people...
- 08:00 Miles Jupp: From Balamory to the News Quiz and beyond
- 08:00 Can’t wait for the best 2015 Burgundies to mature? Here’s some to...
- 08:00 Steve McManaman rules out Liverpool transfer
- 07:59 Mischa Zverev reacts to ‘amazing’ Australian Open win over Sir...
- 07:59 Chelsea in talks with Real Madrid for huge summer deal - reports
- 07:57 I like driving in my car - driving instructor writes song about the...
- 07:57 McDonald's admits blunder for serving 24 hours without permission
- 07:57 Cyclist collides with car windscreen and is thrown into the air
- 07:56 First aid given to 60-year-old woman after house fire in The Meadows
- 07:56 Nadolo ‘absolutely on fire’, admits Saints boss Mallinder
- 07:55 19 of the most historical places to get married in North Wales