DR Congo stability at extreme risk, UN warned
The Democratic Republic of Congo is at "extreme risk" of descending into widespread violence, the UN Security Council has been warned.
UN envoy Maman Sidikou said threats to the 18,000-strong peacekeeping mission there outstripped its capabilities.
Violent protests have broken out over the postponement of presidential polls.
The opposition accuses President Joseph Kabila of trying to cling to power beyond the end of his term, which is due to expire in December.
Dozens of people died in anti-government violence in the capital Kinshasa last month after the electoral commission said... read more
- 08:20 New recruits give police ‘headroom’ to serve Lincolnshire
- 08:20 Mansfield slaughterhouse is to close
- 08:20 Couple had sex in front of child and man is jailed but woman goes free
- 08:19 YOUR LETTERS: Bridge is a disgrace
- 08:19 £2.7m shake-up that could see more cinema screens at Spalding’s...
- 08:19 Cheshire art students exhibit in Birkenhead gallery
- 08:18 Neil Warnock says win over Burton Albion might be his best as...
- 08:17 How we turned the heat on Gateshead housing group over faulty boiler
- 08:17 Holiday home headache: How Mr J helped scrap contract to buy a...
- 08:18 How huge new family entertainment centre could stop travellers...
- 08:17 Tragic cancer-stricken mum died on the day she was due to start...
- 08:17 Voters will soon have to take something along with them to cast...
- 08:17 Derbyshire man and fellow suspect are accused of murder after stabbing
- 08:16 Old dog pals are now ready for a new home
- 08:15 Manchester City preparing massive spending spree to boost title...
- 08:15 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Sunday January 22
- 08:14 Pendle MP's support for electrical safety campaign
- 08:13 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 08:11 EXCLUSIVE: Man United to make transfer decision over Victor...
- 08:10 Pep Guardiola rethinks his opinion on Man City title hopes
- 08:10 Manchester United bid for Atletico Madrid winger Carrasco and more...
- 08:08 Derbyshire man and fellow suspect are accused of murder after stabbing
- 08:07 Staff at Kirklees Council tips threaten strike action
- 08:07 Man City in transfer battle with Everton and Leicester for £20m...
- 08:06 Weather forecast for the East Midlands: Sunday January 22
- 08:04 2017 property crash would see £399 a week wiped off UK property values
- 08:03 Antonio Conte: This player's form means I struggle to pick...
- 08:03 Arsenal star Petr Cech sends message to title rivals Chelsea
- 08:02 Sick messages to girl, 13, from man, 63, caught out by...
- 08:02 On This Day: £102k bingo win for Scunthorpe pensioner, a new pitch...