Downfall of a maverick medical genius: How the man who carried out the world's first heart transplant was gripped by a lust for fame, money and women that all but destroyed his reputation
Fifty years ago next week — on December 3, 1967 — an operation took place that to this day remains the most controversial in medical history.
News that Christiaan Barnard, a surgeon at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, had carried out the first human-to-human heart transplant was greeted with a mixture of amazement, shock, disbelief — and condemnation from those who accused Barnard of being a ‘butcher’ and ‘taking God’s work into his own hands’.
As a youngster growing up in rural Yorkshire, I can remember reading the newspaper accounts and wondering how it would feel to... read more
- 10:18 Man hospitalised after attack on couple in Chesterfield
- 10:18 Holly steps into the ruby slippers for stage debut
- 10:18 Adventurers’ tale given a twist for theatre’s outdoors season
- 10:18 Another chance to see Jason Manford muddling along
- 10:17 Ian Bell is backed to hit right notes again
- 10:17 Whatsapp is testing a Facebook sharing update which could prove...
- 10:16 Extra tickets for Lionel Richie's Northampton gig go on sale
- 10:15 More sponsors back the Coventry Telegraph Business Awards 2018
- 10:15 Accident in Nuneaton involving bus and car
- 10:15 Former Sunderland footballer Darron Gibson could face jail today...
- 10:13 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:13 Videos and pictures: Andres Iniesta plays final match for Barcelona
- 10:13 Sante Fe school shooting: Suspect 'was rejected' by victim Shana...
- 10:12 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:12 Woman ignores road closures to try and drive through half-marathon
- 10:12 Prince Harry and Meghan gave their wedding flowers to hospice patients
- 10:12 Ten-day heatwave to be broken by thunderstorms before return to...
- 10:10 Holly steps into the ruby slippers for stage debut
- 10:10 Event to give Borderlands growth deal a boost
- 10:10 Two arrested over 1988 backpacker murder
- 10:10 Noise alert for Preston residents as overnight railway line works...
- 10:10 The Big Walk event arrives in Carlisle
- 10:10 Homeless people are jailed and fined £1,000 as councils crack down...
- 10:10 Adventurer dies on his eighth attempt to climb Mount Everest
- 10:10 Join in the fun - you know the day and time!
- 10:09 Chelsea news: Eden Hazard knows about Man City interest, Pep...
- 10:09 Liverpool 'to open talks with Lyon over signing Nabil Fekir'
- 10:09 20-goal season star 'agrees deal to join Manchester United'
- 10:09 Station signs point out the healthy way to travel
- 10:09 Patel stars as Warwickshire beat Yorkshire