Don't turn teachers into bouncers: Union voice fears as Bailey Gwynne report recommends weapon search powers for school staff
TEACHERS’ leaders yesterday warned they won’t become bouncers.
A report into 16-year-old Bailey Gwynne’s stabbing death recommended teachers should get stop-and-search powers.
But general secretary Larry Flanagan said: “The EIS would not welcome the introduction of statutory powers to enable searching of pupils without parental support.
“The experience from England, where teachers have such power, does not suggest it is a crucial area of intervention.
“Instead the focus should continue to be on building positive relationships in schools, ensuring that students are aware of the dangers... read more
- 06:15 Burglar jailed after leaving blood and fingerprints during East...
- 06:14 Business Improvement District blitz Northampton streets in a bid to...
- 06:14 Celebrating 70 years of iconic Dr Martens brand
- 06:14 Victoria’s little shop of horrors in Daventry has become a monster...
- 06:14 Swimming gala fun celebrates talent
- 06:13 Pogba, Sanchez, Hazard... The Premier League's most valuable XI
- 06:13 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw handed timely boost
- 06:13 Man City star John Stones is a symbol of progress in English football
- 06:13 London terrorist attack - Derby MPs pay tribute to police officer...
- 06:13 Huge vessel’s visit captured by college art teacher
- 06:13 Hartlepool schoolboy Alfie Smith completes his first physio session
- 06:13 Hundreds gather to say ‘goodbye’ to Hartlepool youngster Ethan Owens
- 06:13 Fly-tipping increase fears
- 06:13 Hartlepool United’s Kieran Green joins Gateshead, Adam Bartlett...
- 06:11 Leeds school to close for day following Ofsted inspection
- 06:11 Leeds planners ‘must do more to encourage house building’
- 06:11 Police follow up new leads in hunt for 1994 killers of Tracey Mertens
- 06:10 How the front pages of newspapers are reporting the London...
- 06:10 Key quotes and tributes in the aftermath of London terror attack
- 06:10 CBeebies stars heading to Wellingborough for premiere of new stage...
- 06:10 Kettering couple can’t wait for first Mother’s Day after 12 years...
- 06:10 Funding row leads to fears over future of Corby Urgent Care Centre
- 06:09 Leader comment: Britain’s police need to routinely carry guns
- 06:09 Leader comment: Time for change on GM crops
- 06:09 Hundreds of Scottish headteachers to get ‘leadership training’
- 06:09 ‘A joke’: Yorkshire chief blasts Lord’s over prize money in cricket
- 06:09 Lack of Scottish Government staff could be hurdle to new powers
- 06:09 Tom Peterkin: Attacks on London put Scottish politics into perspective
- 06:08 Sheriff slams thugs who posted smirking selfies on Facebook during...
- 06:08 Hunting shooters of gangland figures Euan Johnston and Robert...