DON'T put your tomatoes in the fridge! Chilling the fruit leads to an 'insipid' flavour
Storing tomatoes in the fridge washes out the flavour, according to US scientists.
The cold temperature, anything below 12˚C, has been found to hamper enzymes that help develop the taste.
The net effect is that while tomatoes kept in cold storage may look red and juicy, the taste is likely to be ‘insipid’.
The discovery by academics at the University of Florida goes a long way to explaining why a sun-ripened tomato from a market stall in Spain or Greece taste so much better than those on supermarket shelves.
It also demonstrates that value of growing your own in this country and eating them... read more
- 14:53 Bronzers from Givenchy, Revlon and Urban Decay
- 14:53 Teenager bitten by raccoon as a baby gets man-made nose and ear
- 14:53 Cash stolen after ram raid at Wellesbourne premises
- 14:52 Novak Djokovic insists Wimbledon is not on his mind after Vasek...
- 14:52 Announce Alvaro Morata! Man Utd fans livid at club and demand...
- 14:52 Thibaut Courtois' agent reveals he met Real Madrid officials and...
- 14:52 Brave Carmel took on racist train thug
- 14:52 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool: Why the Arsenal star could be...
- 14:49 Nicol: Liverpool FC could still sign Virgil van Dijk
- 14:49 The art of taking the perfect Glastonbury photo
- 14:48 Legendary Liverpool lawyer Rex Makin funeral - updates
- 14:48 Kettering woman pleads not guilty to sexually assaulting young boy
- 14:48 Telegram app agrees to Russian registration, but not to share...
- 14:48 Has Kodi forced Sky Sports to slash prices?
- 14:47 The strange things people put in luggage
- 14:47 What is a miscarriage? Symptoms, causes and what happens after the...
- 14:46 Every Premier League done deal so far this transfer window: What...
- 14:46 Alvaro Morata to Man Utd: Real Madrid star will be enriched by move...
- 14:46 Paddington Bear author Michael Bond dies aged 91
- 14:45 Duckenfield, Bettison and three others could face maximum sentence...
- 14:45 Arsenal ‘doing everything’ to sign Thomas Lemar from Monaco
- 14:44 Who is Naked Attraction's Anna Richardson?
- 14:44 Naked Attraction: What REALLY goes on behind the scenes
- 14:44 Big Sleuth trail of 22 little bear cubs launches at Birmingham...
- 14:44 West Brom at centre of pioneering scheme to build brand in China
- 14:44 Wall St. set to open higher as tech selloff stalls
- 14:44 Islamic State turned on dissenters as Raqqa assault neared
- 14:44 Ribble Valley visit was Royal's most expensive
- 14:44 Wimbledon 2017 men's and women's seeds in full revealed
- 14:44 Get set to climb aboard the Space Youth Bus