Don't put off your retirement... you'll only end up sick! Living longer does not guarantee people will be fit enough to work into old age
The retirement age should not automatically rise as we live longer because people are spending more of their later years crippled by poor health, experts warn.
While life expectancy increased by 10.1 years worldwide between 1990 and 2015, healthy life expectancy – the time people will live without illness or disability seriously affecting them – grew by an average of only 6.1 years.
This means the average Briton born in 2015 will spend a decade of their retirement dogged by poor health, according to the authors of the Global Burden of Disease Study published in the Lancet last night.
The... read more
- 07:26 Two dead and six injured after gunman opens fire during pool party
- 07:24 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho threatens to play Reserves...
- 07:23 Thierry Henry: Tottenham must copy Chelsea to have power shift over...
- 07:23 Having mates key to overcoming life’s challenges
- 07:22 Tour de Yorkshire 2017: Photos and videos from Stage 3
- 07:21 Council starts fining people £100 for walking more than four dogs...
- 07:21 Jamie Redknapp: Antonio Conte is lucky to have this Chelsea duo
- 07:20 Broken-down tram causing delays to all services
- 07:20 DRIVER ALERT: Mobile speed camera sites across North Lincolnshire...
- 07:20 HS2 launch £2.75 billion contract to design trains for the project
- 07:20 A new way to help out rescue dogs in North Lincolnshire
- 07:20 North Lincolnshire band celebrate being crowned champions
- 07:20 Parents of six-year-old boy in fundraising plea
- 07:18 Warning to 'look while you cook' after serious fire in Shobnall...
- 07:18 Number of public access defibrillators on the increase across region
- 07:17 Birmingham City digest: Harry Redknapp's future; Friendly...
- 07:17 Aston Villa digest: January signings rated; Celtic goalkeeper...
- 07:16 Eminem sues New Zealand governing party over Lose Yourself
- 07:14 Having mates key to overcoming life’s challenges
- 07:14 Matthew Bates confident Hartlepool United can beat Doncaster Rovers
- 07:13 Barcelona target two Premier League clubs in massive summer raid
- 07:13 What you can do if your neighbour smokes cannabis?
- 07:13 Heartbreak of Josh Fell's parents on what should have been his 21st...
- 07:13 Prom memories from Winifred Holtby school: Are you pictured?
- 07:13 77 pictures that sum up a nineties night out in Hull
- 07:13 Exeter Chiefs 36 Northampton Saints 12: Tom Vickers' review and...
- 07:13 Wakefield gallery’s chance of £100,000 prize in prestigious art...
- 07:11 Man United News: Two-year contract offer, Ibrahimovic hint,...
- 07:06 British Superbikes: Shane Byrne clinches pole position at Oulton...
- 07:06 Arsene Wenger praises Arsenal star despite loss to Tottenham