Dog tooth found near Stonehenge 'evidence of earliest journey'
A tooth unearthed near Stonehenge shows dogs were man's best friend even in prehistoric times, it has been claimed.
The tooth, dug up at Blick Mead in Wiltshire, is believed to be evidence of the earliest journey in British history.
It is thought to be from a pet Alsatian-type dog that travelled 250 miles from York with its owner.
Archaeologist David Jacques said it was significant as it was not known people travelled so far 7,000 years ago.
The shape and size show the tooth was from a domestic dog, he said.
It also suggests people were visiting Stonehenge 2,000 years before the monument... read more
- 16:30 Mother of Doncaster teen killed in horror crash pays tribute to...
- 16:30 Corrie Mckeague: Landfill search for missing airman resumes
- 16:29 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:28 Communities Secretary Sajid Javid says he was a victim of snobbery...
- 16:26 Awesome new solar-powered electric car REVEALED, but there is an issue
- 16:26 Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato Shooting Brake REVEALED in new pictures
- 16:25 Leahy books National Final spot following tough Parks encounter
- 16:24 Late firing times announced
- 16:24 Hundreds raised for local hospice following Heart of Ulverston Awards
- 16:24 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:23 YouTuber, 14, bursts into tears as she reveals school bullies told...
- 16:23 Rare red sprites in action: Dazzling footage shows mysterious...
- 16:23 Is this the key to treating PTSD? Scientists pinpoint fear in the...
- 16:21 Man accused of firearm offences appears in court
- 16:20 Fire safety warning to Sheffield students 'propping open doors to...
- 16:20 This new Lady Gaga waxwork will haunt your dreams
- 16:20 Families enjoy FanFest event at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light
- 16:20 Police appeal after woman sexually assaulted in Washington
- 16:20 Fleetwood takeaway shut down after police raid
- 16:19 Scandal-hit security firm G4S receives 'unprecedented levels' of...
- 16:19 Could CUCUMBERS lead to a cure for Alzheimer's? Breakthrough jab...
- 16:19 Joe Ledley keeps impressive Derby County statistic intact
- 16:19 Vaccine promises to wipe out pneumonia, sepsis and meningitis,...
- 16:19 Cruel Derby teen sets fire to crow - while friend films it
- 16:19 The 180 breast cancer genes: One in five women has a variant that...
- 16:19 Fire safety warning to Sheffield students 'propping open doors to...
- 16:18 Death of man in Seaton could be linked to carbon monoxide
- 16:18 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:18 Birmingham boy, 15, charged with preparing for terrorist acts
- 16:18 Next Everton manager: Peter Reid gives new boss demands after...