Dog neglect woman received death threats after conviction
A woman jailed for neglecting a dog found "close to death" has won an appeal against her sentence.
Marie Elizabeth Staniforth, 32, was locked up by magistrates last month after a starved and emaciated lurcher-type animal known as Charlie was found in Cleator Moor.
An RSPCA inspector described Charlie as the skinniest dog he'd ever seen alive.
The dog had been left by Staniforth for about a month with little or no food or water.
Staniforth, a pre-school owner, denied a charge of causing unnecessary suffering to Charlie.
But she was found guilty after a trial, jailed for 126 days... read more
- 00:22 Last winter's floods 'most extreme on record in UK'
- 00:22 BT needs to improve customer service after regulator move - chairman
- 00:22 Pupils must be taught British values to help bind communities,...
- 00:20 Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew hopes luck holds after saving job...
- 00:20 Darren Fletcher praises West Brom for attacking style after Watford...
- 00:20 Mark Hughes addresses fears over Marc Muniesa leaving Stoke after...
- 00:18 Mario Balotelli cures injury boredom by showing off football skills...
- 00:17 May seeks 'new chapter' in Gulf relations ahead of Bahrain visit
- 00:17 Chris Gardner: The homeless man who became a multi-millionaire...
- 00:11 Number of UK agency workers 'to reach one million' by 2020
- 00:11 'Act now' on Christmas debt worries
- 00:11 Low Pay Harms Care Standards
- 00:11 'Dangerous wait' with fire-risk dryers
- 00:09 Supreme Court to hear government appeal over Brexit powers
- 00:08 Impressive life of feminist pioneer
- 00:08 How and why Corbyn won out
- 00:08 Inside the new world turned upside down
- 00:08 55 clubs in frame for abuse as Chelsea apologise
- 00:09 Who's Who 2017: Eight people from Leicestershire among new entries
- 00:08 Hillier urges HMRC to probe Mourinho for tax-dodging
- 00:08 Rugby Union: England trounce visiting Aussies
- 00:08 Reshaping our economy is our only way forward
- 00:08 It’s decision time for Labour’s warring tribes
- 00:08 Fighting the flames in Palestine together
- 00:08 Countering the goons of fascism
- 00:08 Syria: Army heads deep into east Aleppo but rebels fight on
- 00:08 Venezuela: Maduro slams bloc’s ‘political aggression’
- 00:08 ‘Fidel, Fidel: ever onward to victory’
- 00:08 Corbyn urges European left to unite against right
- 00:08 EU ‘cannot and will not offer Scots a fair future’ – Sillars