Doctors warn of rare but serious liposuction complication
Doctors are highlighting a rare but serious complication of liposuction, which can lead to fat globules entering the lungs.
They reported on the case of a 45-year-old woman who developed respiratory failure after fat was sucked out of her lower legs and knees.
She recovered from the life-threatening condition, the Birmingham medics said.
Liposuction is increasingly common in the UK and being carried out in higher risk patients, the BMJ report said.
Dr Adam Ali, from Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals intensive care unit, said no previous case of fat embolism syndrome (FES) had been... read more
- 08:57 Gary Barlow shows support for Ant McPartlin and compares his...
- 08:56 Warwick Poppies project now at halfway mark
- 08:56 Firefighters called to car fire in Kenilworth
- 08:56 Have your say at HQ plan meeting in Leamington
- 08:55 Carer, 70, who walked five miles in snow from work offered spa...
- 08:55 #Pray4Archie: Poorly Wigan boy gets tremendous support
- 08:54 Have your say at HQ plan meeting in Leamington
- 08:54 VIDEO: See father and son rap duo's new film
- 08:54 Pub bombs campaigner urges protesting football fans to shun...
- 08:54 Players Championship 2018 LIVE: Snooker score updates as Ronnie...
- 08:54 Tesco gaffe as T-shirt has glaring mistake - but nobody appears to...
- 08:53 Next's profits down in 'difficult trading conditions'
- 08:50 Traffic slow on M6 near Carlisle after lorry loses tyre in middle lane
- 08:50 BREAKING NEWS: Gang-of-four on the run after brutal assault in...
- 08:49 Car completely destroyed by fire
- 08:49 Walter Tull: calls for first black British army officer to be honoured
- 08:49 Jake Livermore's England call-up: West Brom boss Alan Pardew has...
- 08:49 Funeral of former council chief finance officer to take place
- 08:48 VIDEO: See father and son rap duo's new film
- 08:48 Many online GP services 'not safe', says Care Quality Commission
- 08:47 Wooler students visit Hindu temple
- 08:47 Prince Philip, 96, ‘pulls out of rare public engagement due to...
- 08:47 EasyJet pilots mess around on Snapchat in cockpit during flight...
- 08:46 Barrow and Furness MP to chair crunch talks with GSK task force...
- 08:45 Football transfer rumours: Arsenal in for Oblak, Evans and...
- 08:44 'Devious' Parsons Green bomber who planted bomb while foster...
- 08:44 Fleetwood Town's life vice-president Ted Lowery dies at the age of 87
- 08:44 Stewart Golton: Let’s put the ‘local’ back into this election Leeds
- 08:43 How you can make Easter extra special for children in South Tyneside
- 08:43 Many online GP services 'not safe', says Care Quality Commission