Do you switch energy tariffs when moving home? Half of us don't and it could cost an extra £300 every year
When moving home around half of us will keep the previous owner's energy firm rather than switching to a different provider, new research shows.
But this could prove costly because when you move you are usually switched onto the current provider's most expensive tariff.
When they do get around to switching, 46 per cent of all consumers will also not switch to a fixed-rate tariff, which are typically the cheapest on the market.
With fixed-rate energy tariffs, you pay a set amount per unit of energy for the length of the contract – usually 12 months. Variable tariffs on the other hand can... read more
- 09:58 Chorley couple celebrates 60 years of marriage - and welcomes five...
- 09:57 Sisters undergoing chemotherapy 11,000 miles apart launch ‘Feel the...
- 09:57 Significant increase in arsons across Leicestershire last year
- 09:57 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho sent Paul Pogba warning in worrying...
- 09:56 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:56 Windrush: Alan Johnson says landing cards decision was made in 2009
- 09:55 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:55 Scottish sports stars should 'safeguard lucrative deals'
- 09:55 In pictures: How Leeds made the most of the mini heatwave
- 09:55 Search for family after Brighouse man, 65, dies
- 09:54 Parking action plan developed for Berwick
- 09:54 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:54 The Queen wants Prince Charles to take over as Commonwealth head
- 09:54 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:53 Egyptian Premier League moves fixtures so nation can watch Mohamed...
- 09:53 House extension destroyed in blaze
- 09:53 Investigation to begin today into cause of Peckleton explosion
- 09:53 Chris Coleman still in the dark but desperate to be big part of...
- 09:51 PREMIER LEAGUE & FA CUP PREVIEW: Heavyweight tie as Man Utd face...
- 09:51 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:50 Closure of Denstone Stores prompts concern older villagers could...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle digger blaze in South Cumbria
- 09:49 Mum who gave birth at Northampton General Hospital names baby after...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle house fire on the Fairmead Estate in Melton
- 09:48 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:48 ‘The Sagas of Noggin the Nog’ comes to Great Carlton
- 09:48 Update: Collision involving ‘bus and tractor’ on the A16 at Grainsby
- 09:46 Fast and furious: Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable,...
- 09:45 Knife crime rises in Northumbria
- 09:44 New spring food festival arrives in Banbury this weekend