Do you know what Snowflake and mansplaining are? They're now in the Oxford English Dictionary
‘Mansplaining’ and ‘snowflake’ are among 1,000 new words or phrases added to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).
Other fresh entries to the famous list of English language terms include “me time” and “ransomware”.
To qualify for dictionary, the OED must see several examples of the word or term being used, and there must be evidence the phrase has been spoken or written “for a reasonable amount of time”.
Experts are consulted ahead of a phrase relating to their field being added to Oxford guide of more than 829,000 words, senses and compounds.
Are you a mansplainer, a snowflake, or both?... read more
- 12:11 Elderly rescue dog thanks vet for helping charity which provides...
- 12:11 Arctic Monkeys and other Sheffield cultural heroes should help with...
- 12:10 How you can watch England's World Cup games at Burton Albion this...
- 12:10 Tests begin on world's first retractable football pitch at...
- 12:08 The Aston Villa promotion winner plotting against them at Wembley
- 12:08 'He rolls his sleeves up and works like a beast' - Aston Villa's...
- 12:08 Let children eat soil says TV gardener Alan Titchmarsh
- 12:08 Mystery of missing Coventry man John Robbins after Tile Hill murder
- 12:08 Bono and Ed Sheeran in Manchester attack concert call
- 12:08 Two arrested over murder of teenage German backpacker murdered in 1988
- 12:07 Burnley fashion designer creates a sensation after making Royal...
- 12:07 Katie Bulmer-Cooke: How my mother has been my inspiration for a...
- 12:05 Sexual exploitation of women in 'pop-up brothels' is widespread,...
- 12:03 50,000 knitted poppies and massive community spirit - how Ripon's...
- 12:03 Over 30 miles of motorway links across Yorkshire set for safety...
- 12:03 Scarborough coffee shop raided in late night burglary
- 12:03 U-turn over Facebook chief's EU meeting
- 12:03 Thousands demand laws to end the cruel trade in puppies
- 12:01 BREAKING NEWS: Road closed in Northampton after fatal hit-and-run
- 12:01 Cottingham school hoping new library will inspire a love of reading
- 12:01 Zoe set to have a ball at Radio 2's Ibiza weekend
- 12:01 APPEAL: Man suffers serious facial injuries in Blackpool 'bar brawl'
- 12:00 Man headbutted girlfriend in front of baby daughter
- 11:59 MP ‘delighted’ by Fylde job figures
- 11:59 Zoe set to have a ball at Radio 2's Ibiza weekend
- 11:58 Hugh Grant to marry for the first time
- 11:58 50,000 knitted poppies and massive community spirit - how Ripon's...
- 11:58 Over 30 miles of motorway links across Yorkshire set for safety...
- 11:58 John's real-time WW1 blog: 17 more casualties overshadow hints of...
- 11:57 Watch out - extra speed camera vans on roads