Do YOU have the 'curry gene'? Mutation that makes people love fatty food is discovered
If you are someone who prefers curries and pastries to chocolate and sweets, you can blame your MC4R gene.
Cambridge University research shows that people with a flaw in this gene have an appetite for fatty food, such as rich curries, eating up to twice as much of it as other people.
However, sugary foods leave them cold.
The researchers monitored 54 people given an all-you-can-eat buffet of chicken korma.
This contained three dishes of curry, all of which looked and tasted the same. However, unbeknown to the volunteers, the curries contained different levels of fat.
All of the participants... read more
- 12:09 Further calls to raise alcohol unit prices
- 12:09 Major Roman cavalry exhibition along Hadrian's Wall is announced
- 12:09 Derek Binnie: Worker wellbeing pays dividends
- 12:08 Mobile-phone based bank Number26 expands to 17 European markets
- 12:08 Council staff offered £500 to help recruit social workers
- 12:07 Motorist clocked racing at 126mph on the M181 near Scunthorpe
- 12:07 Toyota to expand hybrid system development to further cut emissions
- 12:06 Music review: RSNO - Verdi Requiem
- 12:06 Music review: Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- 12:06 Album reviews: The Rolling Stones | Peter Doherty | Jools Holland
- 12:05 Thousands of Charter Savings Bank customers are warned their...
- 12:05 Motorists experiencing huge delays on A590 between Greenodd and...
- 12:04 South Tyneside theatre celebrates ‘takeover’ by young artists
- 12:04 New apprentice driving towards bright future after being taken on...
- 12:04 Tottenham Expected XI: Pochettino to give youth a chance in his...
- 12:04 This Chelsea loanee could become the next Frank Rijkaard - former...
- 12:04 Chelsea drama could repeat itself if Jose Mourinho doesn’t do this...
- 12:03 Top European wedding award for Woodhall Spa venue
- 12:03 Your fiver could be worth £50,000 if it has this amazing tiny...
- 12:03 Disability event in Woodhall Spa
- 12:03 Extraordinary meeting over plans to extend Raunds business park
- 12:03 Haul of samurai swords, knife, cash and jewellery stolen from...
- 12:02 Hartlepool sisters win Pop Act of the Year
- 12:01 City estate agency expands team
- 12:01 Injured swan causing delays on M1
- 12:01 VIDEO: ‘Diamond shaped UFOs’ spotted ‘colliding’ in Derbyshire
- 12:01 Four Dales leisure centres to be outsourced
- 12:01 Quad bike stolen from Derbyshire farm
- 11:58 Twenty seasons on, despite Jurgen Klopp and a host of superstar...
- 11:58 Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea set for...