Do we want rank amateurs, or do we want to pay our leaders properly?
When Labour cabinet member Brigid Jones complained in public about Birmingham City Council’s lack of a maternity pay or other employment rights, the instinct of a reporter – particularly one with a red top background – is to ask “who does she think she is?”
It would be easy to launch a tirade about the pampered politician with a salary beyond the dreams of many average and lower paid voters in this city complaining that she cannot slope off for a year or two while she plays happy families – while the taxpayer coughs up for cover.
But her comments highlight a massive divide between the... read more
- 06:10 Real Madrid star Karim Benzema will NOT leave Bernabeu despite...
- 06:09 David Galloway: NHS is being harmed by politically driven targets
- 06:09 Fiona Hyslop: Scotland’s aid spending is vital despite austerity at...
- 06:09 Academic: Holyrood and Westminster facing Brexit court battle
- 06:09 Medic calls for NHS to focus on patients instead of targets
- 06:09 Police force remains ‘strong and resilient’
- 06:10 Having trouble sleeping? Dry January could be giving you insomnia
- 06:09 Teachers threaten strike action over pay
- 06:09 Sectarian fight being undermined by cash cuts, claim Labour
- 06:08 Oh we do like to be beside the seaside
- 06:08 Newsagent of the Week
- 06:08 Ponies grazing coastal dune land
- 06:04 Council left red faced by parking ticket error
- 06:04 Darren McGarvey: Comparing Sturgeon to Thatcher is deeply offensive
- 06:04 Beggar hit with hefty fine after being caught pleading for cash
- 06:01 How a new technology is changing the lives of people who cannot speak
- 06:01 Night fever coming to Spalding as Bee Gees tribute star at Two Lips...
- 06:01 Tributes paid to South Holland tourism officer and Spalding museum...
- 06:01 Arsenal agree huge wage package for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as...
- 06:01 Chelsea ‘agree’ deal to sign Roma duo Edin Dzeko and Emerson Palmieri
- 05:58 The simple way you can save hundreds of pounds in 2018
- 05:58 This is when the council's litter squad will be patrolling in your...
- 05:57 Massive gas leak sparks evacuation of 1,450 from Heaven nightclub...
- 05:56 Chelsea news: Edin Dzeko offered £7m-a-year deal for Premier League...
- 05:56 Arsenal transfer news: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang deal slowed down...
- 05:56 Harry Kane to Real Madrid: Tottenham demand £175m as striker asks...
- 05:56 Chris Moncrieff: Tories’ defeatist attitude will spell doom
- 05:56 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge given transfer ultimatum by Kop...
- 05:56 Andrew Vine: It wasn’t EU law that opened the door to migrants
- 05:56 Mark Stuart: Only a Nigel Farage comeback can save Ukip from abyss