Dilute honey 'may fight urine infections'
Honey and water might be a useful weapon against urine infections in hospital patients, say UK researchers.
Patients often have a catheter fitted, either to drain urine stuck in the bladder or to monitor urine output.
But these flexible tubes can harbour nasty bugs and cause infection.
Scientists at University of Southampton have shown in the lab that diluted honey stops some common bacteria from forming sticky, hard-to-remove layers on surfaces such as plastic.
In theory, a honey solution might be useful for flushing urinary catheters to keep them clean while they remain in the bladder.... read more
- 09:00 Juncker’s crony Antonio Tajani tipped to become Euro Parliament...
- 09:00 Space community mourns the death of the last man to stand on the...
- 09:00 BREAKING: Guy Verhofstadt 'BOTTLES IT' as he QUITS EU Parliament race
- 09:00 South Shields car thief got punch in the face
- 09:00 How much has Lancashire Constabulary’s three year investigation...
- 08:59 Households watching pirate TV can expect a scary letter through the...
- 08:59 Manchester United showed ‘lack of class’ against Liverpool, says...
- 08:59 Man who killed three members of Sheffield family appeals against...
- 08:59 UPDATE: Man arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with...
- 08:59 How to stop all nuisance calls
- 08:58 Russia expects dialogue with Trump on nuclear weapons - Lavrov
- 08:58 Pound recovers ahead of May Brexit speech
- 08:58 How to order a martini: 7 gin martini types you need to know
- 08:58 Flamingo Land zoo column with Lindsay Taylor
- 08:57 Busker on board Leeds buses to shine a light on mental health
- 08:57 Karen Gillan on Tupperware Party, Inverness and Avengers
- 08:56 Snapped: West Ham outcast dons new club's kit after completing...
- 08:55 School remains closed over building's safety fears
- 08:54 Give rugby club a try and help secure its future
- 08:53 Pat Nevin makes huge claim about Chelsea striker Diego Costa
- 08:53 Appeal after crashed car is found abandoned on Amounderness Way
- 08:53 Robinson steps down as Hartlepool Rovers coach, Benson takes charge
- 08:52 Greggs sales boosted by demand for healthier snacks
- 08:52 Revealed: Rick Astley & more in Harrogate Theatre's new season
- 08:51 Arnfield verus Hall re-match is on
- 08:51 Club confirms talks over Chelsea deal: This would be huge
- 08:51 Greg’s yellow card collection is costly
- 08:51 Fran calls time on career
- 08:51 Brig boss wields the axe as striker Ben departs
- 08:49 Council tax to rise in Calderdale - but services will be cut