Dilute honey 'may fight urine infections'
Honey and water might be a useful weapon against urine infections in hospital patients, say UK researchers.
Patients often have a catheter fitted, either to drain urine stuck in the bladder or to monitor urine output.
But these flexible tubes can harbour nasty bugs and cause infection.
Scientists at University of Southampton have shown in the lab that diluted honey stops some common bacteria from forming sticky, hard-to-remove layers on surfaces such as plastic.
In theory, a honey solution might be useful for flushing urinary catheters to keep them clean while they remain in the bladder.... read more
- 11:27 Greg Lake and Jennifer Metcalfe expecting - baby on the way for...
- 11:26 Man to appear in court over alleged online online dating scam worth...
- 11:26 Bus driver slashed with vodka bottle during morning rush hour in...
- 11:26 WEATHER: Difficult driving conditions as Met Office issues ice...
- 11:26 Man dies days after car hit by tree on Shropshire's A49 during...
- 11:24 'Morning!' Watch award-winning US author beam into Lincoln...
- 11:24 Man-of-the-match Williams steers Belper Town to victory
- 11:24 Broad daylight raid on Gainsborough home
- 11:23 Cheaper mortgage rates are boosting the new homes property market
- 11:23 New home for growing construction firm Terra Construction
- 11:23 Argos apologises to Scunthorpe family over 85% discount bargain error
- 11:23 Aston Villa have high hopes for these youth team stars - here's...
- 11:23 Watch how to make the perfect pancake
- 11:23 Kodi warning issued amid police and trading standards crackdown
- 11:23 Midland battlers have '0' to worry about...
- 11:23 Police incident in Kirk Hallam: cops reveal what happened
- 11:23 Referees help Manchester United, claims Southampton legend Matt...
- 11:23 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads
- 11:22 "Sleaze, grime and crime": ECHO readers say Mathew Street needs an...
- 11:21 Obituary: Gerald Kaufman
- 11:21 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads
- 11:21 VIDEO: Crimestoppers £10,000 reward still available for help...
- 11:19 Man to be sentenced over murders of Matalan workers in Cardiff
- 11:19 We're running out of things to cut, schools chiefs tell Chancellor
- 11:19 School in Birmingham partially shuts as travellers defy...
- 11:19 Meeting to show support for Heckmondwike Library
- 11:19 Scam warning: Drivers pretend to run out of petrol and sell fake...
- 11:19 One person in hospital after fire at Batley flats
- 11:19 Woman attacked in double-stabbing at Dalton has died of her injuries
- 11:18 Merkel discussed China's electro-cars plan with prime minister Li